dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Inventory - multiple entries for same product

I have a ZCM 11 SP3 system and am trying to run a report to see all the WS that have not been upgraded to the latest OES client, SP4 (IR7a). I created a custom report that looks for all WS that don't have SP4 (IR7a) installed using these criteria:

Device Is Retired = No and
Product Is Deleted = No and
Product Name = Client for Open Enterprise Server and
Product Version not = 2 SP4 (IR7a)

For the most part this works but I have two WS that are showing up in this report that in fact DO have SP4 (IR7a) installed. When I look at the detailed inventory of the WS they are showing BOTH SP4 (IR6) AND SP4 (IR7a) installed which I don't believe is possible. Looking at the WS itself only shows SP4 (IR7a).

I have run a full inventory scan and that doesn't appear to solve the problem. Why is this occurring? What should I do to get the inventory to report correctly?

Thanks,

Dan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Inventory - multiple entries for same product

Full Scan (Which you have already done) or perhaps upgrade.

ZCM 11 SP3 has been out of support for a long time.
ZCM 11 SP4 will be out ouf support in June.
ZCM 2017 had the inventory modules completely re-written..........

I would strongly recommend getting the servers to 2017 Update 2, update a problem machine, and force a full scan to see if it resolves...which it probably would at that point....
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craig, I am planning to upgrade to 2017U2 but first needed to get this system straightened out. Also, I have seen the same issues of duplicate inventory listings on another system running 2017U1.

I see that 2017U2 has added a quick task to do a full inventory scan of a WS. Do you know if this includes deleting or removing the old inventory data in the \Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\work\inventory directory first?

Dan
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sometimes when we see a symptom such as this it's a case where the fingerprint for the old version of software was a bit too broad. On an upgrade, you'd like to expect that all the files from the old version will be upgraded; but, if some files are not upgraded, then there may be enough left to trigger a positive confidence test from the old version fingerprint, as well as a hit from the new version fingerprint. If you can get their attention if would be interesting to get a probe for both versions in front of the recognition team and have them see what's up.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Bruce. I'm not sure what a 'probe' is, though.

Dan
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry, let the thread get away from me. The "probe" is a scanning utility that Technical Services can make available that will gather information about the application in questions and allow the fingerprinting team to either craft a new fingerprint or, in this case, evaluate for a fingerprint that is too vague and is therefore injecting erroneous entries. Craig can point you in the right direction if this is identified as the right way to go.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK, now this thread has gotten away from me! How do I get a copy of the probe utility? Is it only something that I get from tech services?

dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

By "Probe", Bruce is probably referencing the "Software ID Wizard".

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks114/zen11_inventory/data/b10qu4bw.html
It is for submitting requests to have Software Added to the PRU.

It is often used to troubleshoot as well....
However, any inventory issues prior to ZCM 2017 would not even be examined at this point.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The reason being Inventory scanning was re-written for 2017, 11.3.x is out of support, and 11.4.x will be so in a couple months with only critical issues being investigated.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.