CityRoamer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is it possible to run an uninstall bundle deploy?

Hi,

I am writing a standard operating procedure for deploying ZENworks bundles across hundreds of Red Hat devices. Part of the SOP is to have a backout plan. That got me thinking of whether it is possible to do setup a bundle assignment for uninstalling a bundle? If not, what is the best way to uninstall a bundle across multiple devices? Is there an out-of-box method to do this?

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Is it possible to run an uninstall bundle deploy?

CityRoamer,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://www.novell.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

CityRoamer;2351268 wrote:
Hi,

I am writing a standard operating procedure for deploying ZENworks bundles across hundreds of Red Hat devices. Part of the SOP is to have a backout plan. That got me thinking of whether it is possible to do setup a bundle assignment for uninstalling a bundle? If not, what is the best way to uninstall a bundle across multiple devices? Is there an out-of-box method to do this?

Thanks

We do it all the time for Windows stuff, so I don't see why you couldn't do it for Linux.

There's 2 ways that I'm aware of:
a) You can do an uninstall action or something in an existing Bundle.
or
b) (this is what we do) - create a new bundle that runs the appropriate uninstall actions. I imagine for Linux you'd either deploy a script file with the commands in the script or something like "rpm -whatever blah blah.rpm"
0 Likes
CityRoamer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2351582 wrote:
We do it all the time for Windows stuff, so I don't see why you couldn't do it for Linux.

There's 2 ways that I'm aware of:
a) You can do an uninstall action or something in an existing Bundle.
or
b) (this is what we do) - create a new bundle that runs the appropriate uninstall actions. I imagine for Linux you'd either deploy a script file with the commands in the script or something like "rpm -whatever blah blah.rpm"

Ok, option B makes sense... I actually think we've done that before too. I know that would def work too.

Wasn't sure if there was an out-of-box feature in ZCC that we could choose... like 'Uninstall Deployment' where it would run the uninstall action.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

CityRoamer;2352051 wrote:
Ok, option B makes sense... I actually think we've done that before too. I know that would def work too.

Wasn't sure if there was an out-of-box feature in ZCC that we could choose... like 'Uninstall Deployment' where it would run the uninstall action.

There is, on Windows bundles (not sure about Linux ones), but to be honest, I've never found it terribly reliable as I think it basically "reversed" the installation actions which may not be what you want (or what the program/software needs).

For example, if an install action was to run:
setup.exe

Then the uninstall action would run:
setup.exe

But that may not be what is needed to actually remove said software.

Never tried with RPM's to see if it's smart enough to realize that rpm -iv or whatever is supposed to be rpm -e or whatever for the removal is.

--Kevin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.