francis77 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Is there a way to schedule Windows updates

Hi,

We are recieving complaints from end users regarding Windows updates shutting down thier PCs during the work hours and I was wondering what settings need to be changed to schedule the updates to happen during after hours, sorry for the question but I am no Zenworks expert and a have only been using it few months, thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Is there a way to schedule Windows updates

Yes, there are MANY ways to do this.....
If you CAN open an SR...That may be the best way and folks can explain stuff to you.
Just about all Non-Education Customers have Free Unlimited SRs.

I'm sure there are lots of folks who have lots of slick ways, but somethings I would review are...

#1 - In the ZCC go to....Configuration->Patch Management->Patch Policy settings.
Review your current configuration...there are lots of options here....

#1 - By Default, ZCM will not reboot your PC. This, however, is not something I would recommend.
The PC SHOULD be rebooted after applying patches, failure to do so can cause issues.
However, you CAN enable certain things such as allowing users to "Snooze" the reboot for X Hours.

#2 - Take note of when the patches are set to deploy.
If is possible to set it to run overnight, such as 2am.
If the "Process Immediately if device is unable to execute on schedule" is not selected, it will not run if the PC is started later.
Care should be taken with this because if a device is never on overnight it may never get the patches....just pointing out the option.

However, you could also schedule a bundle that manually ran "ZAC PAP" on "Refresh" on the 4th Tuesday of Every month.
This would catch users who did not get the overnight 2am patch updates....if they never left their PC on....But that would be their fault. But even then you could give them snooze.

The options are plentiful.....by no means did I scratch the surface....
0 Likes
francis77 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Is there a way to schedule Windows updates

Very helpful post, will review the patch policy settings in place. Many thanks!!!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.