Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Local Group Policy Test - Turn off control Panel - Help.

Hello all, I just started using ZCM 10. Here's what I have done so far. I installed the ZCM Adaptive agent, on one windows test machine. It has registered with the ZCM 10 Suse server. I then Made a Local Group policy, installed the policy helper software, and turned the control panel off. I saved the settings, and uploaded them to the ZCM 10 server. I appled the policy to my device I installed the adaptive agent on, and said to, "apply the settings immediatly" The adaptive agent on the workstation then said, "Downloading group policy" Then there was a message stating the download was successful, but a relogin would have to occur. I re-logged into the workstation...but the control panel is still there. I looked at the adaptive agent settings, and it said the policy successfully applied...but still the control panel is there...

I am running Windows XP SP3. Any ideas what I'm missing?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Local Group Policy Test - Turn off control Panel - Help.

Techlord,

one thing you can use to check: when you are editing the policy, any
changes apply to the machine you're editing it on, during the period of
the edit. So go back and try to reedit the policy, and see if control
panel is removed...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Shawn, indeed, I don't think the policies writing/saving of the file took the first time, i will test again soon, but I think it will work this time.

spond;1897362 wrote:
Techlord,

one thing you can use to check: when you are editing the policy, any
changes apply to the machine you're editing it on, during the period of
the edit. So go back and try to reedit the policy, and see if control
panel is removed...

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NO, still not working shawn, I double checked the group policy editor, sure enough, the features I want are enable (hide control panel etc). The client refreshes and says its downloading the group policies, they apply successfully...but no, when I log in, they do not work...

Since they are applied to the device, I do not have to login to novell right? I can login workstation only right? And the settings should still take effect since they are applied to the device in ZCM 10...correct?

Techlord;1897342 wrote:
Hello all, I just started using ZCM 10. Here's what I have done so far. I installed the ZCM Adaptive agent, on one windows test machine. It has registered with the ZCM 10 Suse server. I then Made a Local Group policy, installed the policy helper software, and turned the control panel off. I saved the settings, and uploaded them to the ZCM 10 server. I appled the policy to my device I installed the adaptive agent on, and said to, "apply the settings immediatly" The adaptive agent on the workstation then said, "Downloading group policy" Then there was a message stating the download was successful, but a relogin would have to occur. I re-logged into the workstation...but the control panel is still there. I looked at the adaptive agent settings, and it said the policy successfully applied...but still the control panel is there...

I am running Windows XP SP3. Any ideas what I'm missing?
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Techlaud,
does the Z-Icon properties show that they have applied successfully?
When you were editing the policy, did you check that the editing
workstation had the correct settings applied, for example is the
control panel hidden?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shawn, yes, while I am making the policy, and using group policy helper, during the edit, the settings DO INDEED take effect, when I enable hide control panel, the control panel goes away, when I Hide all drives in my computer, all drives are hidden, the policy is working on the editing workstation, during the edit of course, then I save it, and upload it. I indeed see all of the policies download, to the workstartions, and the Adaptive agent says they are applied. I even set the workstation to FORCE a logout after the policies are applied, and they all apply with no errors, and the worstations log out. When I log in, there polices are not working..I check the adaptive agent again, and all policies are indeed applied with no errors...it seems like they should be working. And yes I am on service pack 3, windows xp.

spond;1897677 wrote:
Techlaud,
does the Z-Icon properties show that they have applied successfully?
When you were editing the policy, did you check that the editing
workstation had the correct settings applied, for example is the
control panel hidden?

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Techlord;1898107 wrote:
Hi Shawn, yes, while I am making the policy, and using group policy helper, during the edit, the settings DO INDEED take effect, when I enable hide control panel, the control panel goes away, when I Hide all drives in my computer, all drives are hidden, the policy is working on the editing workstation, during the edit of course, then I save it, and upload it. I indeed see all of the policies download, to the workstartions, and the Adaptive agent says they are applied. I even set the workstation to FORCE a logout after the policies are applied, and they all apply with no errors, and the worstations log out. When I log in, there polices are not working..I check the adaptive agent again, and all policies are indeed applied with no errors...it seems like they should be working. And yes I am on service pack 3, windows xp.

Maybe the save action you are doing is causing this, simply edit the Windows Group policy hit X (close window) and then upload it to ZCM. Don't do any save before uploading it.

Thomas
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am not performing any save action, I just close the group policy helper window, sorry if that wasn't clear. But yes I just close the window, and wait for zenworks to do its automated process where it saves the policy to the temp directory, I then hit the upload button in ZCM 10 and zenworks uploads the policy.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Techlord,

and if you go back to re-edit the policy, are your settings still
there? I'm trying to see if it's the saving or the applying that's
failing.

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
gnitish Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Probably it may be a stupid question to ask, but it happens to me a lot, so asking it anyway. When the group policy is created, by default "Apply User Configuration" settings is unchecked. Can you please confirm that, this setting is checked in the first place.

Thanks
Nitish

>>> Shaun Pond<spond@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 12/2/2009 11:27 AM >>>

Techlord,

and if you go back to re-edit the policy, are your settings still
there? I'm trying to see if it's the saving or the applying that's
failing.

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nitish,

good thought

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shaun and Nitish, I just want this to be a workstation policy, does user settings have to be checked?

spond;1899066 wrote:
Nitish,

good thought

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Techlord,

depends on whether you're updating HKLM only...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry, you've lost me on this comment..I understand that that is a registry entry, but how does it relate to ZCM anf how it applies the policies...sorry, I just doen't understand what the suggestions or difference is in this case..

spond;1900321 wrote:
Techlord,

depends on whether you're updating HKLM only...

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
Techlord Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello all, I just wanted to say THANKS. I have the policies working now!!!
It was my mistake, I didn;t have the USER settings checked..I was misinterpreting this option. I didn't realize it was the Computer and USER settings for the policy...I thought it was for if I wanted the policy appled to the computer or user source...my large mistake. I get it now, and it works!! Thanks to all for your patience!!

Techlord;1900594 wrote:
Sorry, you've lost me on this comment..I understand that that is a registry entry, but how does it relate to ZCM anf how it applies the policies...sorry, I just doen't understand what the suggestions or difference is in this case..
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.