rjtd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MDT + PXE Runs twice

Hi there,

I'm currently automating MDT with the new ZENworks 2017 U3 and it is working almost perfectly.
(Great addition the support for variables on Bootstrap.ini and Customsettings.ini 🙂 )

Now I'm facing the following problem. I boot a new computer under MDT with PXE, and it installs the OS under WinPE (the first phase of MDT; before booting the new OS).
But then, after reboot, ZENworks PXE kicks in and runs again the MDT. It does not boot the hard disk as expected.
Strangely, if I click "ctrl+alt+del" when MDT PXE starts loading (effectively preventing it from even starting), the next time ZENworks PXE will no longer run MDT and boot the hard disk.

I've made the change to ZTIDiskPart.wsf to keep the ZISD image, and I can see that before the WinPE reboot the ZISD shows JustImaged.

Any idea what can be the problem?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: MDT + PXE Runs twice

#1 - Just to be 100% Clear...you have verified that JustImaged is "True".....It could be "False".....(Yeah I had to ask...)

#2 - You said if you image a NEW computer...this happens.
What happens if you REIMAGE a Computer.
Fully Blow Away the HDD, ZISD, etc...(Heck put in a clean new HDD)
Does the issue happen again?

I've got one thought in the back of my mind...but I want to keep it to myself....
Float a wild idea once....and everyone will always think that is it...even if it was proven wrong....
0 Likes
rjtd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok,

I will answer my own question:

Force Download: Forces the download of the assigned bundle, even if it matches the most recently installed bundle. By default, downloading the hardware rule is not forced.

By default, ZENworks imaging does not reimage a machine containing the same image. This option allows you to force the image to be reapplied to the device. For example, you might want to refresh all of your lab machines for the next use of the lab.

"IMPORTANT:Use this option cautiously. It can create an endless loop, because the option remains selected after an image has been applied. If you image a device that remains non-registered after it is imaged, it is reimaged with the same image over and over each time it boots. To prevent this, edit this hardware rule and deselect this option after you have imaged the applicable devices."

I had this enabled.

Thanks
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for Update!

rjtd;2486154 wrote:
Ok,

I will answer my own question:

Force Download: Forces the download of the assigned bundle, even if it matches the most recently installed bundle. By default, downloading the hardware rule is not forced.

By default, ZENworks imaging does not reimage a machine containing the same image. This option allows you to force the image to be reapplied to the device. For example, you might want to refresh all of your lab machines for the next use of the lab.

"IMPORTANT:Use this option cautiously. It can create an endless loop, because the option remains selected after an image has been applied. If you image a device that remains non-registered after it is imaged, it is reimaged with the same image over and over each time it boots. To prevent this, edit this hardware rule and deselect this option after you have imaged the applicable devices."

I had this enabled.

Thanks
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.