ahennessy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MSOffice compliance

This is my first post in Asset Management so I'll try to be a clear as I can but apologise in advance for it being long winded and multi threaded.

Office licensing allows you to multiple instances of the same edition installed, but you can’t mix. So you could have Office Pro 2007 and Office Pro 2003 installed on the same machine – but not Office Pro and Office Std (of any version).

So if we take office 2007 as our standard installation where multiple copies of standard are installed (2003 and 2007) - this counts as one licence. Does ZCM take this kind of scenario into account?

Now I know it doesn't make sense to have 2 versions installed as you should always move to the latest version. BUT if IT installed the latest and didn't remove the older one then it's fine as licencing is covered.

However this is the type of sceanrio we have:

1. Machines with 2003 + 2007

2. Machines with 2007 only

3. Machines with 2003 only

4. Machines with Pro and Standard (either version)

Machines with pro and standard MUST be regularised as they consume 2 licences either way. Any idea as to how to identify these?

If we just count the "2007" installations only then the "2003 only" would be omitted with 1 and 2 included, if we say lets count the 2003 installations only then the 2007 only will be omitted with 1 and 3 included. But if we count 2007 and 2003 is it counting 2 installations on the ones running 2003 and 2007 with 1,2 and 3 included.

Also My purchases to catalogue products is reconciled BUT the Licenced products will show for example licenced products as 500 and allocated quantity as say 150. BUT the status shows underlicenced. Now If I run the compliance report the figures do not add up. It's all a bit confusing - particularly on MS Office because fo the licencing model.

Any light that can be shed on this process would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: MSOffice compliance

Here is what I got from some of the folks who handle licensing stuff................

"We can handle that, but it is kind of a complicated answer. It may be all in how they assign and configure their licenses and maybe use upgrade licenses."
"From his description. I would have to know more to be sure. This may be possible, but to open an SR to go through everything would be recommended."
0 Likes
ahennessy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Craig,

I'll open an SR to see if it can be clarified. I am happy that I have all my purchase records spot on, the problem I have is what way that ZCM picks up multiple installations of say professional. You can have pro 200, 2003 and 2007 installed on teh one licence BUT you cannot have Pro and Std installed as they consume a licence each.

At least if I could reconcile what we have purchased with what is installed We could take corrective action as i am pretty sure that our numbers do add up overall but they don't in ZCM. I would like to get this sorted as we would have clarity going forward and confidently use the ZCM reports to certify our commpliance. If we can't do that then there is no point in having it and wasting time on the reconciliation.

I'll report back if we can get this resolved on and SR.

Thanks again
0 Likes
ahennessy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I opened the SR on this and it is still a work in progress.

Basically... the inventory DB/table which has currently installed products is different from the Compliance db/table. As the compliance reports report to a minimum of 1 month I have to wait for a month before a product I uninstall will be removed from the compliance report. If I extend the compliance period to 3 months again it appears that it will be back in again as that period of time hasn't elapsed. Very frustrating particularly if I have to wait for a month to see if my removing versions is affecting the reports.

Ideally once I remove a product I would expect it to disappear out of the compliance report also I am waiting to see if there is a way around this or a script that can be run to re-set the compliance. Say for example I have a user who uses Office std but now needs to use access (office pro). I install Office pro and remove office std but the compliance report shows bot as being installed and the inventory only shows pro as installed.

There has been no explanation yet as to why multiple versions of Pro on one pc are picked up as individual licences when I can have multiple versions of pro on the one pc within licence terms. BUT perhaps this is the way I am reconciling the licences and I await clarification.

Thanks
0 Likes
BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The challenge here is that ZENworks doesn't allow us to model the very detailed specifics of the licensing models individual manufacturers inflict on us. I look at this less as a failure in ZENworks than a reality of the market - and we all want simplified licensing (http://www.clearlicensing.org/).

If I have a situation where there is an old version and a new version of a product legitimately installed on a device, and I only need to track to the new version, I go into the "Installations/Consumption" tab of the Discovered Product for the old version, find the device in question, and ignore the installation of the old version for that device. For the case I describe, that squares my compliance numbers. If at some point the old version is removed, that "ignore" will be cleared without further manual intervention.

Hope that helps.

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.