farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Machines not showing when searching

Jump to solution
I though I posted about this a while back, but can't find thread. I had this issue with previous versions of ZCM, but not sure exactly when it started. On 17.4 now.

When I go into Devices->Workstations and do a search for a certain machine, it won't show. Or saw a lab, I can search for the room, but a computer will be missing. If I go to the room and turn that machine on, it will then show in the list of machines if I search again. The issue is that I need to un-register a machine that's been disconnected. If I don't connect it and turn it on, I can't un-register it.

Any ideas of what's going on?

ZCM 2017 Update 4
Server 2012R2
SQL 20xx (forget the version, but can get it if relevant)
Windows 10 1803 now for workstation. 1703 previously. Will be 1809.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Machines not showing when searching

Jump to solution

#1 - The Services-Messages.Log should contain entries including details such as "renamed" when you have devices sharing a duped ID.

#2 - %ZENworks_Home%\conf\deviceguid  is a text file showing a device's GUID.  

#3 - When devices are sharing a GUID you will want to.....

• Unregister the device and make sure to delete the shared object.  Unregistering will normally do this so long as you are not forcing an offline unregister with -f.
  • Clear the ZISD using ZISwin.exe to clear prior details about the Device object.  
  • Then register the device and it should come in as a new device.

#4 - See Step 3 above....Shortcuts are likely not going to be helpful.  Most of the older links were never valid solutions.

#5 - There should not be a need for a widespread need to do this unless there was an imaging issue in which many devices jumped on a singe GUID.  In that case you could compare to a known bad "guid" using the file above.  Deleting Every device object in your zone and creating all new ones is likely extreme overkill.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Almost certainly you have a Duplicate GUID issue, which is normally related to an imaging issue.
Two (or More) devices sharing the same identity as well as "Auto-Rename" enabled.

Example - PC123 and PC456 share Device GUID 123456
When PC123 refreshes, it renames Device GUID 123456 to have a Name of PC123.
When PC456 refreshes, it renames it back to PC456.

Services-Messages.log will log these renames as they occur to help identify duplicates.

--
This can happen if you image a Device with the ZCM Agent Pre-Installed and to not clear out all of the identifying details prior to imaging.
I tend to make sure the device is not registered and that "zac fsd -d" has been run.

--
This can happen if you use Non-ZCM Imaging that duplicates the ZISD region of the HDD. In such cases, you need to make sure to clear the ZISD as well.

--
When using VMware....It is also necessary to clear the ZISD, since that portion of the HDD is replicated when cloning it. Though clearly your devices are not VMs based upon the description.

--

Normally when I there are 2 devices bouncing off each other....the simplest thing to do is unregister both, delete the shared device object, and then register both.

farmersLSD;2500899 wrote:
I though I posted about this a while back, but can't find thread. I had this issue with previous versions of ZCM, but not sure exactly when it started. On 17.4 now.

When I go into Devices->Workstations and do a search for a certain machine, it won't show. Or saw a lab, I can search for the room, but a computer will be missing. If I go to the room and turn that machine on, it will then show in the list of machines if I search again. The issue is that I need to un-register a machine that's been disconnected. If I don't connect it and turn it on, I can't un-register it.

Any ideas of what's going on?

ZCM 2017 Update 4
Server 2012R2
SQL 20xx (forget the version, but can get it if relevant)
Windows 10 1803 now for workstation. 1703 previously. Will be 1809.
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Jump to solution
We use ENGL for imaging, so it installs the agent, but we do swap drives, so ZISD is still there in some cases. Is it possible to get a report of GUIDs, so we can un-register them? Also, once we un-register, what would be the shared object? Would one be left due to the GUID issue? Should we clear drives any time we swap them?

I'll check the services-message.log, also. Thanks for the info! We do have auto-rename on, but MAC Address only is checked.
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Jump to solution
To add to this, how can this be solved on a large number of computers?

I found this thread:
https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/342188-New-fix-for-Duplicate-GUID-and-creating-an-image?mode=hybrid

The it does not work, though. There is no DeviceGUID.sav file, so assuming it's been replaced by another file, or the GUID is stored somewhere else. If I look at ZISWIN, the GUID is back in there, and it's the same in ZCC. Do I need to delete a registry key, also?

Would I have to unregister everything from ZCM, then register them all? I have GPO I can use, also.
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Jump to solution

I also read about a REREGISTER command, but it doesn't seem to do what we want.  We have the summer off, so ideally, we could get everything fixed by just having every machine get a new GUID, even if they don't need it.  Then going forward, we can update our imaging procedures to fix this issue.  

Is it possible to do this on a large scale.  GUIDFixxer is the ONLY solution I have found that will fix the issue, so far.  Or your solution.  The problem with it is finding which machines are the offenders.  We obviously know the first one because it's not showing.  We can then go to Inventory and find a name there.  GUIDFixxer fixes the unknown machine, and I assume we don't have to un-register the second at that point.

Still, if we could run a command on EVERY machine, the load shouldn't be an issue for us since it's our downtime soon.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

#1 - The Services-Messages.Log should contain entries including details such as "renamed" when you have devices sharing a duped ID.

#2 - %ZENworks_Home%\conf\deviceguid  is a text file showing a device's GUID.  

#3 - When devices are sharing a GUID you will want to.....

• Unregister the device and make sure to delete the shared object.  Unregistering will normally do this so long as you are not forcing an offline unregister with -f.
  • Clear the ZISD using ZISwin.exe to clear prior details about the Device object.  
  • Then register the device and it should come in as a new device.

#4 - See Step 3 above....Shortcuts are likely not going to be helpful.  Most of the older links were never valid solutions.

#5 - There should not be a need for a widespread need to do this unless there was an imaging issue in which many devices jumped on a singe GUID.  In that case you could compare to a known bad "guid" using the file above.  Deleting Every device object in your zone and creating all new ones is likely extreme overkill.

0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  We'll just tackle them as we find them.  The issue is that we pulled about 100 SSDs and replaced with others.  Then we are using the old ones in other machines and I didn't think about clearing the ZISD, so we'll have about 100 machines that are incorrect.  They're all teacher machines, so not hard to track down.  Just didn't want to have to touch 100 machines manually, but it is what it is. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
If you got the list of all "bouncing" machine names from the Services-Messages.log, I could envision a script that ran using your AD Startup script that would issue all of the needed commands if the device name was in a text file list you gave. The script could also place a flag on the PC so once a device runs it once it does not do it again. My worry about using a scripted bundle is that if two devices are sharing an ID, then the 2nd device may just break and not get the bundle after the first device does what it needs to do. But other worry of course is automating anything that could break devices....
0 Likes
farmers_LSD
Visitor.

Jump to solution

That was my biggest fear is breaking things.  I'll just run the GUIDFixxer manually, as that seems to fix the primary machines.  We will be checking them all when we approve the Windows Update to 1809 this summer, anyway, so we'll just hit every teacher machine and that should fix the majority of the issues.  Then we check the log going forward and fix any remaining machines.  Then we'll do things the right way going forward....

Thanks for all the information, Craig.  Always appreciated.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.