ktm_2000 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Managing Bundles / error messages - how to weed out the junk

Hi All,

I look in on my ZCM console and steadily watch the numbers of bundles with errors rise....... When I look at the "errors" I see items that I really don't care about like could not complete because another install was running and user cancelled the install. I do want to see which apps are not going out well and fix any potential problems so....

1. Is there a way to exclude certain error messages?

2. Is there a way to get a list of apps by how many error messages they have had (sorted Highest First)
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Managing Bundles / error messages - how to weed out the junk

ktm,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Popopinsel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Managing Bundles / error messages - how to weed out the

I'd like to see a way to exclude minor error messages like "reboot pending" or "no user session available" as well. It's a time consuming process going through all the "faulting" bundles every morning... -.-
0 Likes
Obiwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I Agree - I would like to suppress the "Display message action"-warnings...(means nothing but there's no user logged in...:))

However - in the past I used to check the "faulty" bundles and policies, actually I do a faster cleanup using the system information tab having all messages: As there's a filter available now it's pretty quick to find and delete these messages.

Dirk
0 Likes
jdofaz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I deleted everything from the system message log that was dated before today. It's 1pm and there are over 8,000 error messages in the log. There are legit error messages in the log but there are a sea of useless error messages like:

The action [NULL] (ID:dlu policy) failed due to the reason : dlu policy, however the action is set to continue on failure.

So nothing happened because of the reason dlu policy. Yeah, that is helpful in so many ways.

or how about

Failed to process action: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

What the hell does that mean? 99% of the time if I look at the workstation that generated the error the bundle shows as successfully installed and when I remote control the device it did install fine.

I have found the error log to be entirely useless and I look for failures listed under bundle status when looking for failed installs.
0 Likes
bkeadle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

AMEN! I found this thread looking for information about "object reference not set to an instance of an object".

I heard that there will be some development efforts with regards to making the logging more useful to troubleshooting. There is just too much meaningless logging, that *actual* errors that should be addressed get drowned out by inconsequential "errors". Being able to filter out the plethora of "error" messages that aren't actually errors, so that the Message Summary dashboard would actually be useful would be huge.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Managing Bundles / error messages - how to weed out the junk

bkeadle,

>
> AMEN! I found this thread looking for information about "object
> reference not set to an instance of an object".
>
> I heard that there will be some development efforts with regards to
> making the logging more useful to troubleshooting. There is just too
> much meaningless logging, that actual errors that should be addressed
> get drowned out by inconsequential "errors". Being able to filter out
> the plethora of "error" messages that aren't actually errors, so that
> the Message Summary dashboard would actually be useful would be huge.

Yes... but for now I think the only way is to change which
error/warning the agent should send to your servers. Did you try that?

--

Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.