lccTechA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Microsoft Office ProPlus 2016 Install Bundle

Has anyone had success installing MS Office 2016 ProPlus from a network location with Zenworks while the client machine is logged out?

I am just trying to call setup.exe (silent installer) from a network location using dynamic administrator and a username that is valid both on the machine and our network server. The package installs fine if the client machine is logged into any user account, but fails with:
Error launching "\\xxxx\xxxx\apps\Office2016Silent\setup.exe ". Windows error: The directory name is invalid. --if attempted while the machine is logged out.

I have also tried packaging w/ Admin Studio (failed miserably - resulting install won't run -licensing errors)
And tried copying the whole source directory into zenworks and then installing that on the target machine to run the setup.exe locally, but that fails too.

Any help is much appreciated...
Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Microsoft Office ProPlus 2016 Install Bundle

Definitely don't want to repackage office.
It supports quiet installs out of the box.
Repackaging an app should be the last resort....Maybe something for 1 percent of apps at most...

If running as DAU, I can't see how it could matter if a user is or is not logged on.....
That is quite odd....

What is the Format of the Name you are Using for the Credential Vault?
What is the Is this an eDir or Windows Share?

So the setup.exe even fails to run if you copy it to the PC 1st?

Note: Here is the basic process...
https://4sysops.com/archives/office-2016-installation-customize-and-deploy/

There will be many such links explaining the process....I just too one of the 1st hits.

Just for ZCM you need to make sure you have setup.exe on the executable section and the parameters on the parameter section.
And yes, credential vault set with proper authentication....could be a format issue, but the fact it fails when run locally makes me think there is something wrong with your administrative install point....
Reminder...Nothing can reference Drive letters when working with DAU.
0 Likes
Highlighted
lccTechA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I have learned the hard way that Admin Studio is a last resort...

However, I have still not found a completely successful way to install office w/ Zen. DAU doesn't work when logged off. I'm accessing a windows share with UNC path. When logged on to any user account (standard or admin) office installs without issue. When logged off, I find "The directory name is invalid" referencing my UNC path in the log. Everyone says it is supposed to work, but I have never seen it work with any network install when logged off. Format of name in credential vault is just UserName, Password and like I said, that works fine when logged into any user account on the box.

So I have tried copying the whole package to zen repo and then create directory, install directory, launch executable. This only seems to work at all if you leave zcm console open for 5 to 10 minutes after uploading the package... but then only works on some machines. On others it seems to stall half way and I get office dlls and support files, but apps never show up. No error in Zenworks log or in ZCM. It just never finishes install. OS doesn't seem to matter... in my test group I have 2 windows 10 (1809) and 2 windows 7 sp1. Office installed ok on one of each.

This is not Office 365... It is office 2016 proplus, has MSI's as part of the package, but has setup.exe and several .iso files too. So I don't know if that qualifies as a "MSI Installer", but I think not.
0 Likes
dbriese
New Member.

Ok, so this actually is what Microsoft refers to as the MSI installer. Yes, the setup process is launched via setup.exe but behind the scene Windows Installer installs several MSI files. Click-to-Run (C2R) is also launched through a setup.exe but it streams a complete build from MS (or a network share) and installs Office more like an App-V package.

Anyhow, I remember similar problems regarding the installation of applications from a network share when no user session is available. Which version of ZENworks are you using (zone and client agent)? How's your network share configured (ACL's and share permissions)?

As for uploading the content into the ZENworks repo: the default option when uploading directory content iirc is to compress the content as a single file (and maybe also encrypt it). Depending on the size of the content this might take several minutes, sometimes hours when gigabytes are uploaded. You can monitor the status of this process by observing the CPU load of the ZENLoader.exe on the primary server (whose ZCC you've used to upload). It will use up to a single core of CPU load, so e.g. 25% on a quad-core system. As long as ZENLoader.exe is compressing/encrypting the data, deploying that bundle to devices will fail with a cached content error.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Not sure if this will work for your situation...but here is an
alternate method that I use...

Copy the install from the network drive to a local drive using xcopy
(you could pre-stage this if you want with a separate bundle). Then
have your actual install bundle kick off if the local install location
exists. That might get you around the network issues.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

KeN Etter,
> Copy the install from the network drive to a local drive using xcopy
> (you could pre-stage this if you want with a separate bundle). Then
> have your actual install bundle kick off if the local install location
> exists. That might get you around the network issues.

That is what we do here.

- Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

TIP: Anytime I ever want to do "XCopy", I now use "Robocopy".
This is built into Windows 7 or later and is much faster than XCopy.....
Especially on subsequent recopies when using the "Mirror" option.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks Craig! Great idea!

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Craigdwilson,
> I now use "Robocopy".
> This is built into Windows 7 or later and is much faster than XCopy.....

Thanks, did not know that!

- Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
NovAlf Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Had same problem/question …
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_dep365-mso_o365b/office-update-via-officec2rclientexe-does-work/b45499cc-f5bc-463d-9dab-8d4999db240f?tm=1543216226009&auth=1
… and finally, yes, only option I’ve seen was to copy setup files (latest build from three kept here) from local repository (~ NAS) to local disc and run setup from there. So far so good. For full setup (including source files copy and logs to keep and check) I’ve used Powershell and it’s running under SYSTEM account (~ totally unattended).
Terv, Alar.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Glad it's not always our fault....
Thanks for link.....
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

lccTechA;2497889 wrote:
Format of name in credential vault is just UserName, Password]

That is probably incorrect.....
Should be something such as SoftwareInstaller@MyDomain.com not SoftwareInstaller
0 Likes
dbriese
New Member.

lccTechA,

is this Office Click-to-Run (C2R) or MSI installer?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.