itpelder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrate Data from Internal Sybase Database to an MS SQL DB

ZCM 11.2.2 with MU1 installed on 2008 R2 server. Installed using the embedded Sybase SQL Anywhere DB. I also have ZRS 11.1 installed on this server. This is my only primary server. I need to migrate the data from the internal sybase DB to an external MS SQL database. In reading the documentation on Migrating the Data from an Internal Sybase Database to an MS SQL Database, the first thing I read is "IMPORTANT: Do not perform this scenario on a device that has ZENworks Reporting Server installed." I cannot find any other documentation on why or what to do if ZRS is installed. Can I uninstall ZRS, Migrate the data to an external SQL DB and then reinstall ZRS on my primary server? Has anyone attempted this? I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrate Data from Internal Sybase Database to an MS SQL DB

itpelder wrote:

>
> ZCM 11.2.2 with MU1 installed on 2008 R2 server. Installed using the
> embedded Sybase SQL Anywhere DB. I also have ZRS 11.1 installed on this
> server. This is my only primary server. I need to migrate the data from
> the internal sybase DB to an external MS SQL database. In reading the
> documentation on Migrating the Data from an Internal Sybase Database to
> an MS SQL Database, the first thing I read is "IMPORTANT: Do not perform
> this scenario on a device that has ZENworks Reporting Server installed."
> I cannot find any other documentation on why or what to do if ZRS is
> installed. Can I uninstall ZRS, Migrate the data to an external SQL DB
> and then reinstall ZRS on my primary server? Has anyone attempted this?
> I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Yes, you can uninstall the ZRS and then move the DB... Have you thought about making a dedicated server for ZRS?

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
itpelder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrate Data from Internal Sybase Database to an MS SQL

Niels, Thanks for your response. We are a small shop with less than 200 Zenworks users. The only reason we are moving to an external SQL DB is for DR purposes. After I move the DB, I'm going to create a second primary server in our backup facility to point to the external SQL DB. It will also serve three small branch offices. That way if something happens to my original primary server we'll still have access to the DB. The DB server is a VM and has snapshots created nightly so I can bring it up in my backup facility if necessary. I really haven't thought about a dedicated server for ZRS, but I guess the same scenario would apply for DR purposes. Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrate Data from Internal Sybase Database to an MS SQL DB

itpelder wrote:

>
> Niels, Thanks for your response. We are a small shop with less than 200
> Zenworks users. The only reason we are moving to an external SQL DB is
> for DR purposes. After I move the DB, I'm going to create a second
> primary server in our backup facility to point to the external SQL DB.
> It will also serve three small branch offices. That way if something
> happens to my original primary server we'll still have access to the DB.
> The DB server is a VM and has snapshots created nightly so I can bring
> it up in my backup facility if necessary. I really haven't thought
> about a dedicated server for ZRS, but I guess the same scenario would
> apply for DR purposes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Okay, yes I would also go for at least two primary servers in a ZCM environment - even with only 20 users.
You're welcome.

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.