minsthorpeict Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrating 11.4 appliance to 2017 - zman zenserver-backup

Hi

We are attempting to migrate our 11.4 appliance to 2017 but have run into a problem early in the process.

When trying to run the command to backup the server config:

zman zenserver-backup /root/zcm_backups/zone_backup.bak

We are getting the following error:

Failed to back up the configuration files. Ensure that you have the necessary permission to the folders under /etc/opt/novell/zenworks directory on Linux.

ERROR: 11

I've checked I have permission to the folder listed and even copied the contents to another folder to make sure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Matthew
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migrating 11.4 appliance to 2017 - zman zenserver-backup

Found what might be the cause: Bug 954495 zman zenserver-backup fails with permission error on Appliance -> Fixed in ZENworks 2017 Update 2a: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7022513
You might what to open a SR if possible?

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

thsundel;2481752 wrote:
Found what might be the cause: Bug 954495 zman zenserver-backup fails with permission error on Appliance -> Fixed in ZENworks 2017 Update 2a: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7022513
You might what to open a SR if possible?

Thomas

Hi Thomas

Thank you for that, it certainly looks like that's the cause. I was worried I was missing something.

I don't have support, unfortunately, but reading further onto the documentation it would appear I don't need to restore this backup to migrate. As we have snapshots of the server, I think I'll just continue and hopefully the issue will be resolved as part of the migration to 2017.

Thank you again.

Matthew
0 Likes
newellt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Matthew,
I ran into the same exact problem a few weeks ago and ended up opening an SR. Turns out there were 2 symbolic links that were causing zman zsb to get this error 11. Wanted to be careful to just remove the links and not the actual files so I backed them up to a temp folder first just to be safe. Should find the links in /vastorage/etc/opt/novell/zenworks/preboot named novell-proxydhcp.conf and novell-tftp.conf. Run an ll command in that folder and you'll see the path -> /etc/opt/novell/.... for those 2 files. I also used the unlink command instead of rm command parameters because it seemed safer to not accidentally remove the source files if I put the wrong rm options. Also note some nightly maintenance or something recreates the links because I went to do zman zsb on one of the servers I removed the links on the day before and got error 11 again. Checked and the links were re-created automatically overnight. Just unlinked again and ran zman zsb. But you are also right, I didn't need to do any zman restores but still a good idea to have whatever backups we can.
Tom
0 Likes
Absent Member.

newellt;2481787 wrote:
Hi Matthew,
I ran into the same exact problem a few weeks ago and ended up opening an SR. Turns out there were 2 symbolic links that were causing zman zsb to get this error 11. Wanted to be careful to just remove the links and not the actual files so I backed them up to a temp folder first just to be safe. Should find the links in /vastorage/etc/opt/novell/zenworks/preboot named novell-proxydhcp.conf and novell-tftp.conf. Run an ll command in that folder and you'll see the path -> /etc/opt/novell/.... for those 2 files. I also used the unlink command instead of rm command parameters because it seemed safer to not accidentally remove the source files if I put the wrong rm options. Also note some nightly maintenance or something recreates the links because I went to do zman zsb on one of the servers I removed the links on the day before and got error 11 again. Checked and the links were re-created automatically overnight. Just unlinked again and ran zman zsb. But you are also right, I didn't need to do any zman restores but still a good idea to have whatever backups we can.
Tom

Hi Tom, thank you for such a detailed solution! It worked perfectly, I can move forward with the migration now.

Thank you to you both again.

Matt
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.