luminous00 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Need help with Image driver Add-on Bundles

Anyone have a sure-fire method for imaging Dell's using driver add-on bundles? We have so many different models of Dell's here and it's getting really annoying. We have Optiplex GX280s, GX620s, 745s, 755s and now 960s. If anyone could help me out with how to create an image driver add-on bundle, i would appreciate it, thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
martinusen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Need help with Image driver Add-on Bundles

luminous00;1930332 wrote:
Anyone have a sure-fire method for imaging Dell's using driver add-on bundles? We have so many different models of Dell's here and it's getting really annoying. We have Optiplex GX280s, GX620s, 745s, 755s and now 960s. If anyone could help me out with how to create an image driver add-on bundle, i would appreciate it, thanks!

Assuming it is Windows XP you will be rolling out, a good place to start is this cool solution article:
Windows XP Universal Image and ZENworks Deployment | Novell User Communities
0 Likes
joebrug
New Member.

Luminous, I do something in my imaging script that searches the bios for the model name, then pushes down the proper add-on image. Heres a snippet of that code..
#Restore drivers for specific model computer
hwinfo --bios > /tmp/hwinfo.bios
if cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "Optiplex GX620" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/gx620driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "OptiPlex 760" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/opti760driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "Optiplex 745" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/gx745driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "OptiPlex GX270" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/gx270driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "Latitude D620" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/d620driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "Latitude D610" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/d610driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "Latitude D600" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/d600driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "OptiPlex GX260" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/gx260driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "OptiPlex GX280" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/gx280driver.zmg
elif cat /tmp/hwinfo.bios | grep -i "OptiPlex 755" ; then
img rp $PROXYADDR addon-image/gx755driver.zmg
fi

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Ok, but what do those add-on images entale? is it just a folder with the .inf files for video, nic, etc?
0 Likes
martinusen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

luminous00;1933499 wrote:
Ok, but what do those add-on images entale? is it just a folder with the .inf files for video, nic, etc?

They contain both drivers and inf files. You create them with Image Explorer. You can download the tool on your server:
http://your.zcm.server/zenworks-setup/?pageId=imaging
The tool installs (very quiet) to C:\Novell\ZENworks\bin\preboot

When you create add-on images with drivers, the structure must correspond to your sysprep.inf
If your sysprep looks like this:
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath=DRV\Monitor;DRV\01;DRV\02

your driver image should contain a structure like this:
C:\DRV\Monitor
C:\DRV\1
C:\DRV\2
0 Likes
Absent Member.

So am i to assume I'd need to sysprep these images to tell them where to look? I thought I could just edit the registry and copy the drivers down to a specified directory...i guess it's not that easy, eh?
0 Likes
joebrug
New Member.

I cant remember my "exact" steps.. but I believe you edit a registry key BEFORE sysprepping. HKLM\Software\Micrsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion > DevicePath . For the value, put the folders that you're goinna put your drivers in.

Example: my driver add-on packages make a c:\drivers folder, in there, I have \video, \net, \sound, \chipset, etc.. then I also have \1 \2 \3 \4 \5 just incase there are 'extra' drivers that the computer may need, and windows will know to look there. My registry entry looks like this:

"%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\drivers\audio;%SystemDrive%\drivers\chipset;%SystemDrive%\drivers\net;%SystemDrive%\drivers\video;%SystemDrive%\drivers\wifi;%SystemDrive%\drivers\monitor;%SystemDrive%\drivers\1;%SystemDrive%\drivers\2;%SystemDrive%\drivers\3;%SystemDrive%\drivers\4;%SystemDrive%\drivers\5;%SystemDrive%\drivers\6;%SystemDrive%\drivers\7;%SystemDrive%\drivers\8;%SystemDrive%\drivers\9"

then in my sysprep.inf file, I have:
OemPnPDriversPath=drivers\audio;drivers\chipset;drivers\net;drivers\video;drivers\wifi;drivers\monitor;drivers\1;drivers\2;drivers\3;drivers\4;drivers\5;drivers\6;drivers\7;drivers\8;drivers\9
UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

So... sysprep runs and puts the sysprep.inf into the reg somewhere so it knows where to look. Then when the imaging script runs, it detects the hardware and puts the appropriate add-on image down, which extracts to c:\drivers.

Hope that helps ?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.