adamcbeck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Need help with ZCM 11 agent breaking autoadminlogon

Hello, this will take a moment to explain but i am hoping that someone can assist me. I am attempting to deploy a windows 7 x64 image to machines using sysprep which works fine. The issue i am having with the ZCMAgent is that its installation is breaking the auto logon that is performed. I am not talking about the zen logon box(as i have that disabled through the registry) but the windows logon itself. We are using a local account with autoadminlogon enabled.

Here is what i have discovered, after much testing and elimination:

After the ZCM agent is installed, before any restart takes place, if you check on the computer name, for whatever reason it will state that the machine will be renamed to ****** after reboot. However ****** is currently the PC's name to begin with, essentialy it is renaming itself to the same thing

Rebooting the machine, autoadminlogon still works fine. However, checking the computer name again shows the same message that the machine will rename itself to ****** after reboot, again with ****** being the same name as befor. Either the machine rename did not take place or the machine is attempting to rename itself for a second time.

Rebooting for the second time is where it breaks. The second reboot after installing the ZCM agent causes the windows login dialogue to show up at boot. It is not attempting the logon and failing, it is simply bringing you to the logon ui and sitting there. If you proceed to logon to the PC, autoadminlogon works again. From here i can restart the PC as many times as possible and autoadminglogon works. It is only for that one logon that it breaks, which i assume has something to do with ZCM and registering the local machine. While the machine is sitting at this logon however, restarting it does not fix the issue. I have to log into the machine to make the issue disappear.

Unfortunately this image would be going to thousands of computers and i cannot sit there manually for each one performing a local login. I am at my wits end as to what is causing this, is it a server side issue? Is it an agent configuration issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Need help with ZCM 11 agent breaking autoadminlogon

Is "Client 2 for Windows 7" installed?
I suspect it is and likely the more likely source of the issue.

below is a thread from that forum.............

> I'm experiencing the same problem with IR6 "The domain name is invalid.
> > Please try again". My sysprep.xml prompts for a computer name before
> > last reboot, then it auto logs on one time to complete final tweaks and
> > application installs. It looks like IR6 is trying to autologon with
> > old\master-image hostname instead of new computer name. If I change
> > master-image-hostname\administrator to newcomputername\administrator it
> > logs on and completes my installs. Is there a reghack to clear or stop
> > IR6 from using my master image's hostname and use the new hostname?

The Novell Client NCCredProvider.dll retrieves the AutoAdminLogon
configuration from the DefaultUserName and DefaultDomainName values
under the .\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ key. Perhaps that's
not where SysPrep is expecting that the configuration should be run
from? Try checking what the DefaultDomainName value is there during
the problem; is it blank / absent, is it the old computer name, or is
it the new computer name.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan.adams@novell.com

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
adamcbeck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craig thanks for your reply, unfortunately it doesnt seem to be the same case. To track down what was causing this issue i allowed Windows 7 to run through our sysprep process, without any application installs, and it finishes fine. Using this same machine after it had completed sysprep, i then installed the ZCM agent (with no Novell client installed) and disabled the zenlogin boxes using "dissablepassivemodelogin" registry key. I have attempted this with both image safe data intact and wiped. Under normal circumstances we would have the novell client installed, however my testing led me to ZCM as having the Novell Client installed by itself did not cause any issue's, and only ZCM has. To be sure i have been able to reproduce this same symptom multiple times over by installing our windows image sans Novell software, install ZCM alone and after two reboots the issue occur's.

In relation to what Alan's posted in that thread, during our sysprep process i have a script that sets DefaultDomainName, DefaultUserName and Password. I have attempted using both the actual name and the %COMPUTERNAME% value for the DefaultDomainName key, and both work fine untill i install ZCM, and preform the 2 reboots. As i said, after installing ZCM, windows reports that the machine name will be changed on the next reboot, however the machine name it will become is the machine name that it currently has(like the machine's name is "windows1" for example, but it will rename to "windows1" on the next reboot). The first reboot does not appear to have any affect. The second reboot is when the issue show's itself. Logging into the machine and checking the registry values, Autoadminlogon is still enabled, User,pass and domain are all still set correctly. From here on out everything works fine, it is only this two reboot issue that is holding me up.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I don't have a good idea at this time as to why.
Others may.

I will try and think on this later.

Hopefully others will jump in........

On 4/20/2011 2:06 PM, adamcbeck wrote:
>
> Craig thanks for your reply, unfortunately it doesnt seem to be the same
> case. To track down what was causing this issue i allowed Windows 7 to
> run through our sysprep process, without any application installs, and
> it finishes fine. Using this same machine after it had completed
> sysprep, i then installed the ZCM agent (with no Novell client
> installed) and disabled the zenlogin boxes using
> "dissablepassivemodelogin" registry key. I have attempted this with both
> image safe data intact and wiped. Under normal circumstances we would
> have the novell client installed, however my testing led me to ZCM as
> having the Novell Client installed by itself did not cause any issue's,
> and only ZCM has. To be sure i have been able to reproduce this same
> symptom multiple times over by installing our windows image sans Novell
> software, install ZCM alone and after two reboots the issue occur's.
>
> In relation to what Alan's posted in that thread, during our sysprep
> process i have a script that sets DefaultDomainName, DefaultUserName and
> Password. I have attempted using both the actual name and the
> %COMPUTERNAME% value for the DefaultDomainName key, and both work fine
> untill i install ZCM, and preform the 2 reboots. As i said, after
> installing ZCM, windows reports that the machine name will be changed on
> the next reboot, however the machine name it will become is the machine
> name that it currently has(like the machine's name is "windows1" for
> example, but it will rename to "windows1" on the next reboot). The first
> reboot does not appear to have any affect. The second reboot is when the
> issue show's itself. Logging into the machine and checking the registry
> values, Autoadminlogon is still enabled, User,pass and domain are all
> still set correctly. From here on out everything works fine, it is only
> this two reboot issue that is holding me up.
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.