Highlighted
inverseparadox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No DHCP on Optiplex 7020

In my organization, we run ZENworks 11.4.3, with the March 2018 imaging-driver update installed. I am attempting to restore a known-good Windows 10 image to a Dell Optiplex 7020, which has an Intel I217-LM network device, with PCI ID 8086:153a.

When I boot this computer to the ZENboot imaging environment, I find that the computer does not get an IP address by DHCP. The computer does load a network driver for the network device; it comes up as 'em1', and shows an IPv6 address (although IPv6 ping attempts, in both directions, give "destination host unreachable" type of errors), but no IPv4 address. Attempting to get one by hand - whether with dhcpcd, wicked, or static IP-address registration (advertised to the DHCP server with dhcpcd again) - either times out with no result, or hangs seemingly forever.

In the past, when I encountered an issue like this, I would have no hesitation in building a custom ZENboot imaging ISO with an updated, hand-built Linux kernel drawn directly from the latest kernel.org source release, including updated network drivers; this almost always fixed the problem. (Indeed, I have custom ISOs built from ZENworks 11.3.2 still around, with kernel versions which I believe are more up-to-date than the one in the 11.4.3 March imaging-driver update, which work just fine on this model.)

However, since successful Windows 10 imaging seems to require the TNTFS filesystem driver module, and the module version has to (more-or-less-)exactly match the kernel version, and the only TNTFS versions I have access to are the ones built (it would seem) explicitly for usage with the stock ZENworks imaging release kernels, I can't use that approach anymore.

This seems to leave me with only local imaging (e.g., copying the ZMG file to a USB drive, then restoring from that) in order to image these computers. That's a viable workaround, but not really a proper solution.

What options are available to me to move towards getting network and Win10 image restore (probably via tntfs.ko) functioning simultaneously on these computers?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: No DHCP on Optiplex 7020

I would start with using 'NEWID' to ensure the system tries and load the appropriate Intel NIC Driver.
Also verify that you are booting the expected newer 64-bit Kernel and not the older 32-bit kernel for old hardware.
The Imaging Updates have all the details about which Kernels should be loading.

inverseparadox;2482469 wrote:
In my organization, we run ZENworks 11.4.3, with the March 2018 imaging-driver update installed. I am attempting to restore a known-good Windows 10 image to a Dell Optiplex 7020, which has an Intel I217-LM network device, with PCI ID 8086:153a.

When I boot this computer to the ZENboot imaging environment, I find that the computer does not get an IP address by DHCP. The computer does load a network driver for the network device; it comes up as 'em1', and shows an IPv6 address (although IPv6 ping attempts, in both directions, give "destination host unreachable" type of errors), but no IPv4 address. Attempting to get one by hand - whether with dhcpcd, wicked, or static IP-address registration (advertised to the DHCP server with dhcpcd again) - either times out with no result, or hangs seemingly forever.

In the past, when I encountered an issue like this, I would have no hesitation in building a custom ZENboot imaging ISO with an updated, hand-built Linux kernel drawn directly from the latest kernel.org source release, including updated network drivers; this almost always fixed the problem. (Indeed, I have custom ISOs built from ZENworks 11.3.2 still around, with kernel versions which I believe are more up-to-date than the one in the 11.4.3 March imaging-driver update, which work just fine on this model.)

However, since successful Windows 10 imaging seems to require the TNTFS filesystem driver module, and the module version has to (more-or-less-)exactly match the kernel version, and the only TNTFS versions I have access to are the ones built (it would seem) explicitly for usage with the stock ZENworks imaging release kernels, I can't use that approach anymore.

This seems to leave me with only local imaging (e.g., copying the ZMG file to a USB drive, then restoring from that) in order to image these computers. That's a viable workaround, but not really a proper solution.

What options are available to me to move towards getting network and Win10 image restore (probably via tntfs.ko) functioning simultaneously on these computers?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

As I indicated, the machine is already loading a network driver. Otherwise, unless I'm much mistaken, the em1 interface wouldn't appear at all.

Additionally, the very first thing I tried when I saw that the machine didn't have an IP address was to manually load e1000e (which is the correct driver); I expected it to fail with a message indicating that it didn't find a matching device, but instead it succeeded silently (probably because the module was already loaded).

'uname -a' reports 'Linux install 4.4.73-5-default #1 SMP Tue Jul 4 15:33:39 UTC 2017 (b7ce4c4) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux'; I presume that the repeated 'x86_64' in there, with no mention of anything related to '32', means that this is running the 64-bit kernel.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

So that is the correct Kernel based on.....https://download.microfocus.com/Download?buildid=8ldKc0_IgwU~
Sometimes the older 32-bit 3.0.101-63-default will still load and cause issues.

If the e1000e driver loaded when you manually set it, then definitely look at configuring a "NEWID" value for system.

Lots of places and different ways to do it....
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3421576

Simplest place would be to test a BootCD and enter it from the menu screen that appears.
If that helps, then you can look at setting it for PXE via the ZCC or config files on your imaging server.

inverseparadox;2482519 wrote:
As I indicated, the machine is already loading a network driver. Otherwise, unless I'm much mistaken, the em1 interface wouldn't appear at all.

Additionally, the very first thing I tried when I saw that the machine didn't have an IP address was to manually load e1000e (which is the correct driver); I expected it to fail with a message indicating that it didn't find a matching device, but instead it succeeded silently (probably because the module was already loaded).

'uname -a' reports 'Linux install 4.4.73-5-default #1 SMP Tue Jul 4 15:33:39 UTC 2017 (b7ce4c4) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux'; I presume that the repeated 'x86_64' in there, with no mention of anything related to '32', means that this is running the 64-bit kernel.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

If the e1000e driver loaded when you manually set it, then definitely look at configuring a "NEWID" value for system.

I'm sorry. What I meant to convey is that the e1000e driver is already being loaded, automatically; when I tried to load it manually, I believe that had no effect, because it was already loaded.

When I loaded the driver manually, that did not result in the network becoming accessible. Both before and after that point, the computer did not have an IPv4 address, and I was unable to make it get one via DHCP.

Simplest place would be to test a BootCD and enter it from the menu screen that appears.
If that helps, then you can look at setting it for PXE via the ZCC or config files on your imaging server.

I'm already using a boot CD (or rather, a bootable USB drive, made using ZENUsbcreator from a boot CD); we don't use PXE booting here, for various reasons, although I do have a "get that working, by hook or by crook" project on my one-of-these-years back-burner.

That said, one of my co-workers has reminded me that this may be the model of computer which we've previously seen doesn't get network in ZENboot unless we first go into the UEFI and toggle the network stack between UEFI and whatever the other option is. (It doesn't matter what the old and new values are - what seems to matter is toggling it. Presumably doing so is reinitializing something.)

I'm going to test that, and if it gets the network functioning for a single boot, I'm going to try updating the BIOS/UEFI/whatever to its latest release in case that fixes the problem more permanently.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

inverseparadox;2482535 wrote:
That said, one of my co-workers has reminded me that this may be the model of computer which we've previously seen doesn't get network in ZENboot unless we first go into the UEFI and toggle the network stack between UEFI and whatever the other option is. (It doesn't matter what the old and new values are - what seems to matter is toggling it. Presumably doing so is reinitializing something.)

More specifically, this makes it work until the next boot into Windows, after which things break again until you repeat the toggle.

inverseparadox;2482535 wrote:
I'm going to test that, and if it gets the network functioning for a single boot, I'm going to try updating the BIOS/UEFI/whatever to its latest release in case that fixes the problem more permanently.

Reporting back just to confirm: yes, the BIOS does appear to have been part of the problem. Updating from BIOS version A02 (what it came with) to A15 (the latest) seems to make things work normally.

The behavior I observed is still a (Linux) bug, given that Windows gets DHCP just fine without this update, but it's an excusable one given that the BIOS version which it happens under is presumably itself buggy.

Sorry to have bothered you; I'm posting this largely in case anyone else encounters the same problem.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.