portafreak
New Member.

No zenwork Icon with Windows 10 1903

Hi,

We are using the latest Zenwork version and some of our workstations are missing the Zenwork icon. The agent is communicating correctly but there's no way to make the Zenwork icon appears in the system tray.
We can use zac command in command prompt just fine.
The problem is really random and only with Windows 10 1903.
Our only solution right now is reimaging the computer hoping the icon will work properly ...

Anyone else had similar issues with the latest Windows 10 1903?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: No zenwork Icon with Windows 10 1903

Did you verify ZAPP was set to properly launch?
There should be a registry key such as....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ZAPP"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Novell\\ZENworks\\bin\\zapp-launcher.exe /runonce"

Important:The PATH to "ZAPP.exe" needs to be a Full Literal Path (No Variables such as %program files%. Not simply zapp-launcher.exe and allow the PATH to find it.)
The reason is that Windows Feature Upgrades starting in with Either 1803 or 1809 (Can't Recall) will remove any values from the RUN key that are not full literal paths.
I presume it is a "Security" feature so that something changing a variable or the path....can't alter what automatically starts.

portafreak;2500754 wrote:
Hi,

We are using the latest Zenwork version and some of our workstations are missing the Zenwork icon. The agent is communicating correctly but there's no way to make the Zenwork icon appears in the system tray.
We can use zac command in command prompt just fine.
The problem is really random and only with Windows 10 1903.
Our only solution right now is reimaging the computer hoping the icon will work properly ...

Anyone else had similar issues with the latest Windows 10 1903?
0 Likes
portafreak
New Member.

Here's what I have in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ZenNotifyIcon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Novell\\Zenworks\\bin\\ZenNotifyIcon.exe"
"ZAPP"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Novell\\ZENworks\\bin\\zapp-launcher.exe /runonce"
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Forget about - "ZenNotifyIcon". As Counter-Intuitive as it sounds...that has nothing to do with the System Tray Icon in ZCM 17.x.

The Desktop Icons, ZAPP Windows, and System Tray Icon are all "ZAPP".
Make sure the "ZAPP.exe" processes are running.
If it's not running, then may have to see why the "Run" key is not launching it.
Make sure there is not an Explorer Policy to hide the System Tray Icon.
0 Likes
portafreak
New Member.

ZAPP.exe is launched and still nothing in the system tray:

https://i.imgur.com/cFxu0IS.png

We had the problem once in a while with version Windows 1803 but it's much more frequent with version 1903.
What else can I check?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Other than a ZAPP Explorer Policy that is configured to Hide it, I can't think if any.....
No reports I'm aware of where it is missing when ZAPP is running.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.