BMcDowell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One Nicely Messed Up ZAA

I'm in the midst of a project to upgrade an environment using an 11.2.1 ZCM appliance to 11.3.2. The infrastructure upgrade went smoothly, as did about 70-75% of the agent upgrades, pushed via system update. Now we're down to the outliers, which take a bit of nudging along. Not too bad all things considered.

But there's this one laptop that's driving me to distraction. Agent wouldn't connect and wouldn't uninstall via ARP. Pulled down the most recent Agent Cleanup tool - the one that's supposed to work for 11.2.1 - and it won't do the trick for me, apparently. Clears out FDE (which wasn't installed), cleans up ZESM fine (which wasn't licensed, but, you know, parts are always there). But every time it fails to clean out the agent itself. Seems to be getting really close - CASA and all the rest are gone from ARP - but a scan through the registry shows some lingering tentacles.

I have a support key etc. to authorize things, and that seems to be working properly. Just can't seem to get over hump.

On the other side, with a fresh new agent installer package, the splash screen pops up for three seconds and then tells me that the PreAgent installer has died. No cause or suggestions.

Quite frustrated...

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: One Nicely Messed Up ZAA

https://server/zenworks-downloads/tools/ZENworksInfocollect_Win.zip has msilist.exe

you can use that to list all installed MSIs
Run MSIEXEC.exe /x {GUID} to remove any remaining Installed MSIs.

Make sure your device actually has a full copy of .NET 4.5.2 since the install is dying.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bruce
If Craig's suggestion does not work for you this is what I have found after
several years. The agent removal tool rarely works cleanly. At least in my
situations. After having gone through what you are experiencing over the
years I have found that once an agent is messed up that’s it. There never
seems to be any "fixing" it. I found that after spending hours trying to fix
it I was spinning my wheels. I came to the conclusion that it was easier to
re image and do what was necessary to get the unit back up and running than
going down the rabbit hole for hours and ending up at the same place. re
image. FYI I was in your ZAV training in February. 🙂

"BMcDowell" wrote in message
news:BMcDowell.6v5emo@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

I'm in the midst of a project to upgrade an environment using an 11.2.1
ZCM appliance to 11.3.2. The infrastructure upgrade went smoothly, as
did about 70-75% of the agent upgrades, pushed via system update. Now
we're down to the outliers, which take a bit of nudging along. Not too
bad all things considered.

But there's this one laptop that's driving me to distraction. Agent
wouldn't connect and wouldn't uninstall via ARP. Pulled down the most
recent Agent Cleanup tool - the one that's supposed to work for 11.2.1 -
and it won't do the trick for me, apparently. Clears out FDE (which
wasn't installed), cleans up ZESM fine (which wasn't licensed, but, you
know, parts are always there). But every time it fails to clean out the
agent itself. Seems to be getting really close - CASA and all the rest
are gone from ARP - but a scan through the registry shows some lingering
tentacles.

I have a support key etc. to authorize things, and that seems to be
working properly. Just can't seem to get over hump.

On the other side, with a fresh new agent installer package, the splash
screen pops up for three seconds and then tells me that the PreAgent
installer has died. No cause or suggestions.

Quite frustrated...

--
BRUCE MCDOWELL
Technical Services Consultant
McDowell Consulting LLC
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BMcDowell's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=30563
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=482930

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Finally was able to circle back to this. msilist.exe doesn't appear to want to generate any output at all. If I double click on it a DOS window appears fleetingly then is gone. If I run it from a command line it just cmes back to a command prompt, no output. I tried running the zeninfocollect.exe in the same package and that tells me "Cannot find the ZENworks install path." Also not useful.

Customer is not opposed to a re-image solution - just as soon as we get ENGL updated and working again. If no one has any other clever ideas, I'll thank you for your time and move on...

Bruce McDowell Technical Services Consultant, McDowell Consulting LLC bruce@consultbruce.com
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BMcDowell,

and what happens if you try to install the agent?

--

Shaun Pond
newly reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Attempts to install with a fresh new agent installer package generate the splash screen for three seconds and then it tells me that the PreAgent installer has died. No cause or suggestions.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

BMcDowell;2376114 wrote:
Finally was able to circle back to this. msilist.exe doesn't appear to want to generate any output at all. If I double click on it a DOS window appears fleetingly then is gone. If I run it from a command line it just cmes back to a command prompt, no output. I tried running the zeninfocollect.exe in the same package and that tells me "Cannot find the ZENworks install path." Also not useful.

Customer is not opposed to a re-image solution - just as soon as we get ENGL updated and working again. If no one has any other clever ideas, I'll thank you for your time and move on...

If MSIList cannot generate any output from the command prompt, that could indicate some serious Windows issues.
This utility is not dependent upon the ZCM Agent being installed.

It may or may not have some .NET Dependencies.
But even the ZCM Agent will run long enough to tell you to install .NET.

I think there are just serious OS issues.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.