dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PXEMENU.TXT GROWN LIMITATION

Hi everyone,

It seems there is a limitation in the size of the PXEMENU.TXT of the tftp. When I put too much menu lines, my tftp doesn't download menu to machines clients....

So I'm limited in the menu complexity....

is there a workaround?

thank you for your support...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: PXEMENU.TXT GROWN LIMITATION

dominicm;2105892 wrote:
Hi everyone,

It seems there is a limitation in the size of the PXEMENU.TXT of the tftp. When I put too much menu lines, my tftp doesn't download menu to machines clients....

So I'm limited in the menu complexity....

is there a workaround?

thank you for your support...

Known issue: "ProcessPXEMenu: TFTP Read File failed"

Thomas
0 Likes
dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ok so there is no solution right now?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dominicm;2108794 wrote:

Nope...

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dominicm;2108794 wrote:

You can daisy-chain another pxelinux to create a boot menu and a boot system as complex as your needs are.

You'll need a more recent version of pxelinux than what ZCM 11 provides. You can find those file on your SLES 11 in the directory /usr/share/syslinux. There should be about forty files.

Copy them in your tftp folder under a new sub folder (I chose syslinux). Do not put them at the tftp root folder and DO NOT overwrite the existing pxelinux.0.

Create a new sub folder in your tftp folder named pxelinux.cfg. This is were your menus and boot configuration will go. pxelinux will search for various configuration files there, is none is found, it will try the configuration file default.

Then create a menu item and a configuration file to daisy-chain the second pxelinux.

Example:

pxemenu.txt

. . .
[Main]
[MenuTitle] = ZENworks Preboot Options
option = execute ; “Sub Menu”; “Daisy-chain pxelinux for sub menu”; pxelinux.0 ; z_daisy.cfg
option = execute ; "Start ZENworks Imaging" ; "ZENworks Imaging in Automated Mode" ; pxelinux.0 ; z_auto.cfg
. . .

z_daisy.cfg

DEFAULT daisy
PROMPT 0

LABEL daisy
KERNEL syslinux/pxelinux.0

pxelinux.cfg/default

DEFAULT syslinux/vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0

MENU BACKGROUND pxelinux.cfg/backgrnd.png

# Soft Cap Linux
LABEL softcap
MENU LABEL Soft Cap ^Linux 9.6.36
KERNEL softcap/softcap-9.6.36.bzi
APPEND whatever

# A very dense operating system
LABEL brick
MENU LABEL ^Windows CE/ME/NT
KERNEL syslinux/chain.c32
APPEND hd0 2

#Others...
LABEL Others...
MENU LABEL Others...
KERNEL others/others...
APPEND others_options=params

#More menus
LABEL menu3
MENU LABEL Even more menus
KERNEL syslinux/vesamenu.c32
APPEND pxelinux.cfg/menu3
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.