Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Policy not applying

Hi all: Having some more policy issues. We run ZCM 11.1a off of OES2 boxes the manage Windows XP sp3 clients.

This time I am seeing policies not being applied to workstations. Here is the situation. I have created a Windows Configuration Policy to push out some Windows Group Policies to our Windows XP clients. In particular, the policy pushes out "Computer Configuration" policies including turning off the windows firewall. This was working well until yesterday, when I logged in and found the firewall running. I went into ZCC and just made a simple change, not to the firewall settings, but something else, so I could publish a new version. Once published, the new version of the same policy was pushed down to the workstation and, like magic, the firewall was disabled like it was before.

So campers. my questions are:

1. Why would the Policy just stop working, or more specifically, why would ZCM stop applying the policy?
2. What can be done to prevent this in the future?

Thanks for the help, Chris.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Policy not applying

Chris,
> 1. Why would the Policy just stop working, or more specifically, why would ZCM stop applying the policy?

Very hard to say. Have you looked at the logs on a failing machine?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Merlyn1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are having like issue. ZCM 11.1 and migrated policies from Zen7 for our XPsp3 computers. One day the Trusted sites are present, next day, they're missing. Where are these logs? I can use them to see what policy is applied or failed? Great! Thanks.

-- Merlyn McGowan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Merlyn,
> Where are these logs? I can use them to see what policy
> is applied or failed? Great! Thanks.

They are on the client machine and you turn on logging, set the log level and clear the logs on the agent (Z-icon). See:

http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=3418069&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=3762985&stateId=0%200%201696781

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
jhurley Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have had a number of battles with ZCM and GP in our environment. Anytime there is a problem applying policies to the local workstation the Agent will try to roll back to the original cache policies that it creates. Often times these policies don't match your GPO. The content null/unavailble is usually caused by a bad upload of the Group Policy. Follow the guidelines in this TID to avoid that problem. The other thing is that when you modify your policies during the time they are being uploaded they will be unavailable which can cause any systems that try to update during that time to roll back their policies. Avoid this by making GP changes after regular hours.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.