phasenjager Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Preboot Service Hang on 11.4.1 Server

I have not opened an SR on this yet, but over the past week I've had to restart the Preboot Service multiple times. Everything functions properly, except automated imaging (such as flagging to apply an image or take an image). I restart the service and everything works again for a random period of time.

Servers are 2012 R2 Standard. I hadn't noticed this problem previously, but then I haven't done much automated imaging in that zone. Anyone have a suggestion of what to look at? I see nothing in the novell-pbserv.log file that points to any problems, other than there are no entries for 5 hours before I restarted the services. On days where everything works, I never go more than an hour without an entry.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Preboot Service Hang on 11.4.1 Server

I have not heard of this issue recently............

Just a couple canned thoughts................

#1 - If this is VMware, ensure the memory is dedicated....While this does not normally impact Imaging Services.....Perhaps Maybe who knows ;))
#2 - Try the "ForceHTTP" setting. In the past, I've seen this resolve some stability issues. Not often and not recently....but since the SSL is just for uploading the hardware details to see if there is imaging work, turning off SSL should not be a major security worry.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I have asked the memory be dedicated, but I cannot guarantee it is (nor can I check that it is). I have added the ForceHTTP option to the novell-zenimgweb.conf file and will see. I have also increased the logging for the PBServ. If I still see the issues, I will open an SR.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Another thought. This issue started shortly after switching imaging operations to this server (was previously a Linux server). I just found TID 7004456, which talks about heavy load. From what I can tell in the logs so far, the service dies around 3:02 AM, the same time all machines do their daily restart. It talks about the FORCEHTTP option also, so maybe that's our fix!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

The ForceHTTP option has apparently resolved my PBServ hang. Thanks for the info, Craig!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for the Update!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.