mark75081 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Print Policy "The RPC server is unavailable."

Randomly happening on login, users are seeing failing to connect to printers. Looking closer, once it fails if I stop and start the print spooler the printers no longer show offline and can print and the printers are there. If I force a policy refresh it happens again and the printers show as offline until i restart the print spooler. Doing a restart usually fixes the issue until it happens again but could randomly happen after the restart. Does anyone have any thoughts. I've been beating my head against the wall with this. We went to Windows 10 1803 and started seeing this.

(ZENWorks Error)

Full Message:
Failed to add smb printer \\SOMESERVER\SOMPRINTER
Additional Information:
The RPC server is unavailable.
Severity: Error
Date: August 14, 2018 11:38:02 PM
Acknowledged Date: None
Source: /Devices/Workstations/High Schools/SOMEBUILDING/SOMECOMPUTER 503939e40ed8a471618e0a3f8ce9af50
Message ID: POLICYHANDLERS.PrinterPolicy.SmbAddFailed
Probable Cause URL: None
Log ID: d38124f04e5f32b73b21b47335f2d792
Related Objects: None

(EVENT VIEWER ERROR Novell.Zenworks.Logger)

Category: printer policy
POLICYHANDLERS.PrinterPolicy.SmbAddFailed: Failed to add smb printer \\SOMESERVER\SOMEPRINTER.
Additional Info: The RPC server is unavailable.
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Print Policy "The RPC server is unavailable."

There is an issue in ZCM 2017 Update 2 where a Printer Policy may incorrectly run in the SYSTEM context instead of the User Context under some conditions.
This is fixed in Update 3.
This may occur in older versions...but more likely in Update 2 due to some tweaks that make the condition more likely to occur.

Note: Update 3 will likely ship sometime this week or next.

No Clue if this is YOUR issue.....but only Printer Policy of which i'm aware....

mark7508;2485786 wrote:
Randomly happening on login, users are seeing failing to connect to printers. Looking closer, once it fails if I stop and start the print spooler the printers no longer show offline and can print and the printers are there. If I force a policy refresh it happens again and the printers show as offline until i restart the print spooler. Doing a restart usually fixes the issue until it happens again but could randomly happen after the restart. Does anyone have any thoughts. I've been beating my head against the wall with this. We went to Windows 10 1803 and started seeing this.

(ZENWorks Error)

Full Message:
Failed to add smb printer \\SOMESERVER\SOMPRINTER
Additional Information:
The RPC server is unavailable.
Severity: Error
Date: August 14, 2018 11:38:02 PM
Acknowledged Date: None
Source: /Devices/Workstations/High Schools/SOMEBUILDING/SOMECOMPUTER 503939e40ed8a471618e0a3f8ce9af50
Message ID: POLICYHANDLERS.PrinterPolicy.SmbAddFailed
Probable Cause URL: None
Log ID: d38124f04e5f32b73b21b47335f2d792
Related Objects: None

(EVENT VIEWER ERROR Novell.Zenworks.Logger)

Category: printer policy
POLICYHANDLERS.PrinterPolicy.SmbAddFailed: Failed to add smb printer \\SOMESERVER\SOMEPRINTER.
Additional Info: The RPC server is unavailable.
0 Likes
mark75081 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I hope it is. We had Update 2 for a while with no issues but were running Windows 10 1703 all last school year and just went to 1803 when the problem started happening. We can manually select to connect the print server printers with no issue. Just when Zen makes the connection. Which makes sense with what you are saying. So you are saying "printer policies" in general may run under the SYSTEM account rather than USER not just the iprint part of it correct. May also include sm
0 Likes
mark75081 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I hope it is. We had Update 2 for a while with no issues but were running Windows 10 1703 all last school year and just went to 1803 when the problem started happening. We can manually select to connect the print server printers with no issue. Just when Zen makes the connection. Which makes sense with what you are saying. So you are saying "printer policies" in general may run under the SYSTEM account rather than USER not just the iprint part of it correct.
So any of these may be affected correct

Step 5: Printer Identification
Select the type of printer you want to install on the managed device.
Printer type
Local
Network (SMB / HTTP)
iPrint
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.