rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Printer Policy(s) fail - Printers installed?

I have a set of Printer Policies that are pushing out printers successfully and then reporting back that the policy failed. Since it deploys to the devices on refresh the failed policy shows back up after each refresh. Looking in the logs I see the following information posted in the zmd-message.log for this activity.

[DEBUG] [11/02/2016 06:15:33.127] [3384] [ZenUserDaemon] [16] [] [Printer Policy User Module] [] [Install printer called for printer ipp://<iprint server name>/ipp/fec_office] [] [] [] [ZENworks Agent]
[DEBUG] [11/02/2016 06:15:33.127] [3384] [ZenUserDaemon] [16] [] [Printer Policy User Module] [] [PrinterExists for ipp://<iprint server name>/ipp/fec_office returns False] [] [] [] [ZENworks Agent]
[DEBUG] [11/02/2016 06:15:33.127] [3384] [ZenUserDaemon] [16] [] [Printer Policy User Module] [] [printer ipp://<iprint server name>/ipp/fec_office does not exist hence adding] [] [] [] [ZENworks Agent]
[DEBUG] [11/02/2016 06:15:34.032] [3384] [ZenUserDaemon] [16] [] [Printer Policy User Module] [] [Install printer called for printer ipp://<iprint server name>/ipp/fec_office_mfp] [] [] [] [ZENworks Agent]
[DEBUG] [11/02/2016 06:15:34.032] [3384] [ZenUserDaemon] [16] [] [Printer Policy User Module] [] [PrinterExists for ipp://<iprint server name>/ipp/fec_office_mfp returns False] [] [] [] [ZENworks Agent]
[DEBUG] [11/02/2016 06:15:34.032] [3384] [ZenUserDaemon] [16] [] [Printer Policy User Module] [] [printer ipp://<iprint server name>/ipp/fec_office_mfp does not exist hence adding] [] [] [] [ZENworks Agent]

The policy is assigned to devices and doesn't seem to matter whether the user logged in has Admin rights or User rights. Several workstations that repeat the failed policy have been checked and have the printers installed.

Anyone have an idea as to what I have set wrong that is causing this?

Thanks for the help.

Richard
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
jano2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Printer Policy(s) fail - Printers installed?

Hi, had problem like yours and i managed to solve it. The name of the printer is that the same as the shared name? I.e. \\pserver\printer and the printer has the name printer. Then it will work but if the share name is \\pserver\printer and the name is "Sharp MX-M756 (Economics department)" it will not work.

Then zcm assumes that printer is not installed and on every refresh i tries to reinstall.

Hopes that helps you.
Jan
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jan,
Thanks for replying. To make sure I am following what you are saying, I have a few questions to ensure I am looking in the correct locations for all this information.
When you say the shared name, is this on the print server or the desktop itself. I am assuming the desktop itself but am unsure where you are looking for the name.
Devices and printers show the name but not in the \\printserver\printer format.
iprntcmd -l shows a list of printers I have install but in the ipp://iprintservername/ipp/printername

I am guessing this is exactly what is going on. If so what did you do to resolve the naming issue? Should I be looking at how my iPrint printer policy is deploying or is this how I have named the printers within iPrint?

Thanks for the help!

Richard
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just in case someone runs into this, here is what I found to resolve this issue. Although what I have manually typed into the policy for the printers looks the same I ended up connecting using the magnify glass icon to my iPrint server via LDAP. I then selected each printer in the same fashion. Once this was done the repeated errors complaining about the printer already being present slowed down to only a few here and there.

Richard
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.