Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Proxy DHCP ports

I was just trying to find out what ports the Proxy DHCP server listens for requests from? I thought that it was 4011, is that correct? UDP was another thought on my part. Can someone let me know if that is the correct information?

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
joharmon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Proxy DHCP ports

According to the RFC:
The Proxy DHCP service may also run on the same host as the standard DHCP service. Since two services cannot share port 67/UDP, the Proxy DHCP runs on port 4011/UDP and expects the extended DHCPDISCOVER packets from PXE Clients to be DHCPREQUESTs. The standard DHCP service has to send a special combination of PXE options in its DHCPOFFER, so the PXE client knows to look for a Proxy DHCP on the same host, port 4011/UDP.
0 Likes
brianrbenson1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Proxy DHCP ports

If it's "not" running on the DHCP server, then I believe it just binds to udp/67.

Touchstone Technology Network Consulting Engineer www.touchstonetech.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.