banshPLX Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Random Blank Desktop Icons after Logon

Hi there,

excuse me if i missed that there is already a solution or thread for my question but i did not find anything and that's why i created my account.

Since we've updated to Zenworks Agent 17.1.0.1347 we have a lot of users that have just blank white desktop bundle icons which seem to have no assignment at all.
This happens quite random. After logging off and on again sometimes this issue is fixed. But sometimes we need to do this 2-3 times till the ZCM Bundle Icons are shown correctly and working.

This happens in all Windows 10 builds and also on Windows 7. There is also an error message by trying to run those Shortcuts but i've missed to make a screenshot. I will add the screenshot as soon as possible
It this an already known bug or is there workaround or fix available?

Thank you in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
44 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Random Blank Desktop Icons after Logon

I do not believe this has been reported before.
I would recommend a Service Request.
0 Likes
banshPLX Absent Member.
Absent Member.

And it happened again 😞

Here is the promised screenshot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4vgox1n4w6kcco/Blank%20Icons.jpg?dl=0
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Would recommend an SR.....
0 Likes
genemartin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Did you get a fix for this? We have the same issue.
0 Likes
sperrin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gene, Do your devices have auto admin login set?
0 Likes
heikkikyles Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2467730 wrote:
I do not believe this has been reported before.
I would recommend a Service Request.

We are also seeing this issue
0 Likes
NParkFSTS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have also seen this sporadically on devices in multiple ZCM zones on 17.0 and 17.1. Some are brand-new zone builds.

It behaves as older versions would if the agent service has stopped or hung but we've found that the service is running, and restarting the service via services.msc does not correct. It seems to happen more often on wireless devices, but I've seen it on wired devices and even virtual machines.

Generally a reboot is all that's required, but on a least a few occasions we have had to do a zac cc && zac ref general bypasscache after the reboot for the icons to re-appear and all is well.
0 Likes
NParkFSTS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I just got my hands on one of these and found that zapp-launcher icons work perfectly, install new bundles, etc. Only the .nal icons on the desktop are affected, and simply killing and starting explorer.exe was enough to correct the issue without rebooting - maybe a hook responsible for dealing with .nal icons is the cause?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I can see a report on the issue has worked its way to the ZENworks Backline Engineers.....
So I can try and monitor any progress on that report.........
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Has there been a fix for this yet? We have the same problem.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, but I would suggest both an SR and making sure you have the specific issue mentioned.....
I presume as soon as you restart Explorer.exe, The Icons return to normal?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

You presume correctly. Restarting explorer.exe resolves the current issue. It appears that someone has already started an SR with them on this issue. Won't the fix be available as soon as they have one?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It may or may not be made public.
The customer reporting the issue may or may not prioritize working with ZCM Support Engineers to resolve the matter timely.
The number of customers officially reporting can help prioritize the issue with ZCM Developers...
Identical Symptoms do not always have identical root causes....
etc.. etc...

At this time, there is not any indication any of root cause of why this is happening for the ticket I see open.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Unfortunately we do not have any SRs available and the cost to open one for this problem is prohibitive for our small school district.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.