wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re-enroll IOS devices

I accidentally replaced instead of renew the APN certificate in the Apple Push Notifications portal and now it appears that IOS devices no longer communicates with ZENWorks.

Documentation says that only remedy is to re-enroll the devices but it seems I cannot remove the old profile from them and when trying to enroll them they say "Invalid profile".

How can I get the devices back in  contact with ZENWorks?

/Bengt

Labels (3)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Re-enroll IOS devices

I queried a co-worker who gave me the following....

I guess the main question for them is what happens when they try to remove the old profile? It should allow the removal unless they had a policy in place that restricted it.

If they were restricting it, then the only thing they can do is factory reset the devices to remove the profile and truly "start over".

However, depending upon how long ago they did this, they could certainly try to go back and "renew' their old certificate.

If they still have the old one, meaning they didn't "Revoke" it, they could still renew it and put that one in place it may still allow communication from some of the devices if it hasn't been too long since they have done it. If they were allowing the profile removal, then they should be able to manually remove the profile from the device and set up with the new APN without issue.

If none of the above helps.....there may be a few things they could try via an SR.....

0 Likes
wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks for your reply!

I don't think we allow profile removal on devices so this might be a problem. What I am wondering now is exactly how the procedure of renewing the APN certificate is to be performed. In the documentation I find:

6.2.3 Renewing an Expired APNs Certificate
1 On the Getting Started with Mobile Management page, navigate to the Apple Devices section,
click Configure APNs. Alternatively, from the left hand side navigation pane of ZCC, navigate to
Configuration > Push Notification > Apple Push Notification.
2 Ensure that the existing Certificate Signing Request is available. To create a CSR, follow the
steps described in Step 2.

Step 2 states "Ensure that the existing csr is available". What is meant by that? I created a new csr as described in 6.2.2 step 2 that is referred to above. I do have last years csr available but I can't use it for renewing any certificate in Push Certificate Portal.

I put back the old certificate from Apple into ZCC and it seems to work for now but it will expire on august 1:st.

Regards

Bengt

0 Likes
wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Turns out I renewed and imported the wrong APN certificate! Using the correct one worked like a charm! Have to make a note somewhere which appleID to use for next time!

Kind regards

Bengt

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.