elphantasmo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Remote Control Policy Not Wroking

Zenworks 11.2, SLES 11.1 x64

We recently (about 2 weeks ago) updated to Zenworks 11.2, without any problems; all 6 satellite servers updates as well. There were no noticeable problems, every thing seemed to work, imaging, various policies, bundles... Agents that updated to 11.2 as well as those still on 11.1 weren't showing a difference in management. Sunday, Aug. 26, there was a power out for several hours and our UPS went down and our servers with it. The UPS isn't networked, so the servers just lost power. Since then, pxe/dhcp services on the primary Zen server were down; I restored the run levels and restarted the service. All other services seem to be running with the appropriate run levels. The problem is our remote control policies.

The policy we have set for teacher workstations is such that the user doesn't have to accept permission for anything (by rights only). Since Monday after the power outage, the remote control policies across the school district seem to have gradually reverted to the default remote control policy, but in action only. Some computers are correctly accessible but most aren't. Everything in ZCM says the desired policy is assigned and effective. The policy is assigned to both the workstation and the user. From the workstation, the agent properties indicate the policy is in effect. Is the double assignment the problem? I'm going to "update" the policy and publish a new version to see if that'll fix things. What next?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
stelgenkamp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Remote Control Policy Not Wroking

Aloha !
I have no experience yet with Zenworks 11.2, but first let me give you this excellent solution I found for UPS :
https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?1090-UPS-on-Xen-Guests
Offcourse you need to hook up any router or switch to the UPS as well, otherwise powering down the servers will not work.

Then for Zenworks, you can check if the firewall ports are still open, for the Remote to work.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

stelgenkamp;2216464 wrote:
Aloha !
I have no experience yet with Zenworks 11.2, but first let me give you this excellent solution I found for UPS :
https://forums.suse.com/showthread.php?1090-UPS-on-Xen-Guests
Offcourse you need to hook up any router or switch to the UPS as well, otherwise powering down the servers will not work.

Then for Zenworks, you can check if the firewall ports are still open, for the Remote to work.

Thanks for the UPS stuff.

I don't think it's ports, because I can take remote control of a Windows workstation if it's at the login screen. Once I log in, the user or machine policy disconnects the session.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

UPDATE:

Windows Group Policy are the only policies taking effect on the workstations. No other policy shows up in the agent properties window, no DLU, power or remote. It doesn't matter if it's assigned to the user or the device. Whether or not the workstation checks a satellite server first, doesn't seem to matter.

I've tried the following zac commands without any luck:
cc
ref
ref bypasscache
retr

Unregister then register fixed 1 test workstation, but that's not acceptable for the remaining 900+.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Is there a way to perform a mass "REregister" command keeping each devices existing GUID? My scripting is weak at best. How could I pull the device's GUID from the registry to use in the command?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

So, I ran the "zac retr" command on all our workstations last week via Zenworks. For some reason it fixed some of the policy problems that it didn't seem to when I first tried it; however, NO device assigned policies are appearing in the agent properties nor are they "secretly" taking effect. Should we install the 11.2.1 update before going further into troubleshooting?
0 Likes
JR1CCB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have the same issue, and policies are being applied on our workstations.

We have student remote policy(do not ask permission), staff remote policy (ask permission), but also a remote override policy which can be applied to workstations or users which will not ask.
The problem we are seeing is the same: Remote into a workstation at login prompt -fine. Log in - fine. As soon as policy is applied on Zen side - Disconnect remote session. Attempt to reconnect using override policy - Still asks for permission, even if it's me that's logged in.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

JR1CCB;2221923 wrote:
We have the same issue, and policies are being applied on our workstations.

We have student remote policy(do not ask permission), staff remote policy (ask permission), but also a remote override policy which can be applied to workstations or users which will not ask.
The problem we are seeing is the same: Remote into a workstation at login prompt -fine. Log in - fine. As soon as policy is applied on Zen side - Disconnect remote session. Attempt to reconnect using override policy - Still asks for permission, even if it's me that's logged in.

Our workaround for device assigned policies is just to assign them to users or user groups. This isn't the best solution but it works for now. We can't open an SR because we're not paying for that level of support. Our "go to" 3rd party support isn't too interested unless we pay them (I completely understand not doing free tech support, even just investigating the problem). I updated the primary server and all satellites to 11.2.1 Monthly Update 2, and we're waiting for 11.2.1 update to complete (the last 200+ agents don't seem to be updating in a timely manner) before deploying MU 2. Although, I'm not too confident that's going to fix the problem. I'm not sure what log files to look at or what to be looking for.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I wish this post and thread didn't sound like utter ******** and incompetence, but here are the facts. We had a power out yesterday and our massive UPS is currently stuck in bypass, so all the servers went down. When the Zenworks server came back up workstations started getting device assigned policies again.

Very strange behavior. Does anyone have any musings or insight? Just tell me what log files to post if you want dig through them.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Physical or Virtual ZCM Servers?

On 10/18/2012 10:16 AM, elphantasmo wrote:
>
> I wish this post and thread didn't sound like utter ******** and
> incompetence, but here are the facts. We had a power out yesterday and
> our massive UPS is currently stuck in bypass, so all the servers went
> down. When the Zenworks server came back up workstations started getting
> device assigned policies again.
>
> Very strange behavior. Does anyone have any musings or insight? Just
> tell me what log files to post if you want dig through them.
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

craig_wilson;2224683 wrote:
Physical or Virtual ZCM Servers?

1 physical primary server.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Darn,

Since a reboot fixed it, it sounded like some type of memory
leak/corruption issues. That type of issue can be seen in VMs if the
memory is Dynamic, since Java apps do not like the Dynamic Allocation
that VMware does and ZCM has quite a few Java components.

I'm not aware of General Memory leak issues with ZCM at this point.
(11.x is far better in this area than 10.x)

However, as I re-read, its almost as if it did not come up properly from
the previous power outage. That is a little unusual, but perhaps it was
just a fluke.

On 10/18/2012 2:36 PM, elphantasmo wrote:
>
> craig_wilson;2224683 Wrote:
>> Physical or Virtual ZCM Servers?

>
> 1 physical primary server.
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

So, it's happening again. All was well until I downloaded the November PRU. It downloaded fine, but it hung on "zone configuration" or some such for several hours. So I canceled/deleted the update and tried again. This time it hung on downloading for over a day and, oddly, there were no new messages coming in on the "home" screen in ZCC. I couldn't remove the PRU update and I couldn't make out any funny business in the logs. The server sat like this for about 2 days. Today, I restarted the server. Seemed to come back up just fine, PRU went easily enough and the ZCC home screen was full of new stuff. Then I tried to remote into someone's computer and get hit with "Waiting for user to accept request." Device assigned policies are no longer showing up on the client machines, again. ZCC says the policies are in effect, but the client doesn't show any device assigned policies.

Is there some integrity test on zenworks that can be run? Anyone willing to look at some log files (you'll need to tell me which ones)?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

OK, I've got a solution to MY problem, MAYBE. It's the physical server, I think. If I just restart the server, device assigned policies don't get to the client. If I shutdown the server then restart, same problem. If I shutdown the server, unplug the power, wait for all the lights to go out, power it back up, then everything came back up fine, device assigned policies and all. The total loss of power is what inexplicably fixed the problem a few weeks ago.

The server is an HP DL380 G7.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.