Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Remote Control in 10.1.3

I am working on SLES10SP2 + ZENworks 10.1.3

User from managed device can initiate remote control request to helpdesk and connection success, but no remote control (or any other remote xxx) can be initiated using the ZCC. It always give "Failed to connect to server" error while the target PC can be pinged from the initiating PC.

Any idea on what's gone wrong?

Many thanks!

-Cindy
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Remote Control in 10.1.3

I also tried changing port 5950 to 5550 and initiate the remote control from zcc again, not helping.
0 Likes
Murzda Absent Member.
Absent Member.

cycindy;1741085 wrote:

User from managed device can initiate remote control request to helpdesk and connection success, but no remote control (or any other remote xxx) can be initiated using the ZCC. It always give "Failed to connect to server" error while the target PC can be pinged from the initiating PC.

Many thanks!

-Cindy

If the workstation has the firewall turned, maybe pings are being blocked which would cause this to fail. Also, are you using the DNS name or IP address for the remote control session?

Chris

0 Likes
Murzda Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Murzda;1741493 wrote:
If the workstation has the firewall turned, maybe pings are being blocked which would cause this to fail. Also, are you using the DNS name or IP address for the remote control session?

Chris

Please excuse me, nevermind the firewall/ping suggestion.... note to self... read a bit closer... What about the DNS/IP address suggestion?

Chris

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Murzda;1741494 wrote:
Please excuse me, nevermind the firewall/ping suggestion.... note to self... read a bit closer... What about the DNS/IP address suggestion?

Chris

I tried both, and both did not work. I can ping the target PC from my initiating PC (which is not the server) with both computer name and IP address. Is it a must for the server to be able to ping the targeting PC though?

Thanks,
Cindy
0 Likes
Murzda Absent Member.
Absent Member.

cycindy;1741870 wrote:
I tried both, and both did not work. I can ping the target PC from my initiating PC (which is not the server) with both computer name and IP address. Is it a must for the server to be able to ping the targeting PC though?

Thanks,
Cindy

I believe the server should have to be able to ping the workstation. You might want to setup a packet capture to see what's happening with the packets. The server should be setup to use port 5950 and the agents 5550.
Can you ping from the server?

Chris

0 Likes
steeler906 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any resolution? I just upgraded to 10.1.3 from 10.0.3 today and the same computers that I could Remote to before the upgrade are giving me the "Failed to connect to server (<PC>~50)" message. The firewall shows it is passing and, again, the only change to this computer was the 10.1.3 upgrade.

cycindy;1741085 wrote:

Many thanks!

-Cindy
0 Likes
steeler906 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I noticed it works through the IP choice but no the PC name... this would indicate that it is a DNS issue, however, I am able to ping and was able to connect before the upgrade (I have two computer in testing right now and were checking both)

Thanks!
0 Likes
Murzda Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Using the IP address is the only way to initiate a remote control session if your workstations are not in DNS and you are not able to resolve workstation names.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.