Adeckert1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Remote Control problems with HP 355 G2 laptop

Hello,
we have some HP 355 G2 laptop with 2 graphics card in the device manager. AMD Radeon R5 M420 Series and AMD Radeon R3 Graphics. We installed ZCM Agent 11.4 on that laptop and RC is not possible. I see in netstat connection on port 5950 is established an the popup window shows connection established too. But no remote control window opens. I manually installed the mirage driver from forgedemo, because setup/ Update didn´t installed it.
I read that this laptop model can switch between this to cards. I can´t establish a remote control session with this laptops.Debug mode for RC logging is on. OS is Win7 Sp1 64bit.

Any help?

Andy
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Adeckert1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Remote Control problems with HP 355 G2 laptop

Update:
starting the remote control session from the HP laptop to any other device, it is working well.
0 Likes
Adeckert1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello again,

I opened a Novell Support Call # 10975349951.
The told me, that Novell will not support this "new technology" calls AMD dynamically switchable graphics card.
Disabling was not possible, also with the newest driver.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Looks like the SR is still open and being worked on.
If it gets stuck....please drop me a note here or at CRAIG_D_WILSON@YAHOO.COM (Always put NOVELL FORUMS in the Subject so it stands out from SpamAlot)

Not quite sure how this is 'New' Technology.........

It should be possible to disable either Graphics Card completely to determine if the switching is causing the issues.
Regardless...This is not a "New" or "Unique" feature.
The basic technology exists in EVERY laptop that has a Dedicated Graphics Card these days.

Adeckert;2409291 wrote:
Hello again,
I opened a Novell Support Call # 10975349951.
The told me, that Novell will not support this "new technology" calls AMD dynamically switchable graphics card.
Disabling was not possible, also with the newest driver.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

CRAIGDWILSON;2409334 wrote:
Looks like the SR is still open and being worked on.
If it gets stuck....please drop me a note here or at CRAIG_D_WILSON@YAHOO.COM (Always put NOVELL FORUMS in the Subject so it stands out from SpamAlot)

Not quite sure how this is 'New' Technology.........

It should be possible to disable either Graphics Card completely to determine if the switching is causing the issues.
Regardless...This is not a "New" or "Unique" feature.
The basic technology exists in EVERY laptop that has a Dedicated Graphics Card these days.

Another Troubleshooting Step I would take is:

Grab a Utility that lists every "Window" that exists along with it's position and state.
Run this tool on a "Good" device so you can find the 'Remote Control Window' that is missing in your case.
Then run it again on the "Bad" device to see if you can find the same window listed along with it's state.

One possibility is that for unknown reasons it is being created outside of the visible space on your screen.
0 Likes
Adeckert1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell support told me to test with ZCM Agent 11.3
remote control is working.
Then I installed TightVNC 2.7 from the homepage of tightVNC and also installed the newest mirage driver from the homepage.
Now I can remote control with password authentication. But all goodies like remote execute etc. is not working.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Let's take TightVNC out of the Mix.

If you simply use the ZCM 11.3.x agent....what works and does not work?
Leave Tight VNC out of the mix.
If stuff like Remote Execute, etc... are not working then clearly there are more core issues that are not even related to Video Drivers.
(Not Surprised, Dual Video Card Laptops are very common)

The question is why are those not working.

Now, Installing Tight VNC may allow for Password Based Remote Control to work, but that is just because ZCM Remote Control is based on VNC.
So you are now using Tight VNC instead of ZCM to remote control.
0 Likes
Adeckert1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craig,

we have tried the new Tightvnc viewer as a possible workaround.
Now we tested the laptop with 11.3.2.x agent installed and upgraded the agent to 11.4.1.
Agent update works well but the problem still exists. We have not installed the TightVNC on this laptop.
Also there exist a SR call SR # 10975349951, but no results until yet.
Is there anybody out there with the same laptop model?

Andy
0 Likes
Adeckert1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Today I installed ZCM 11.4.3 update and the agent on the laptop and the problem is gone.

Andy
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good to hear.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.