markvh Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Remove Registration Key without having to unregister device

Hi there,

Once a workstation has been registered in a zone, additional reg keys can be assigned via zac ark --key.
Is there a way to remove one of these additional keys assigned via zac ark once it has been assigned to a workstation without having to unregister and re-register a device.

Thanks
Mark
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Remove Registration Key without having to unregister dev

What objective are you trying to achieve.....
Primarily those keys are used for initial device registration...though there are some exceptions.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

markvh;2489958 wrote:
Hi there,

Once a workstation has been registered in a zone, additional reg keys can be assigned via zac ark --key.
Is there a way to remove one of these additional keys assigned via zac ark once it has been assigned to a workstation without having to unregister and re-register a device.

Thanks
Mark

Thanks Craig,
When our machines are building, we are using an application layering approach.
Machines are placed in Static and Dynamic groups, receiving bundle groups assigned to them.
The ark reg key could be used to place the machine in a group when it gets a group of applications which are installed.
After the machine has been built and frozen and there is no longer a requirement to have / see all these apps we want to remove the key so the device is removed from the group.
Can the device be removed from a group via a command from the client side, or only the back end which I am aware of?
Thanks
Mark
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks Mark.........
Will get back to you..........
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There is not any supported way to remove the registration keys after adding them, but even if you could it would not really do anything since removing they could would note remove the device from the group.
It would not even really be a possible RFE, since there would not be any real way of knowing if the group membership came from the key.

There is not really any way to remove group memberships or move a device from the device...only the backend...short of unregistering the device.

However, there is not any reason the final step in your process could not be unregistering the device from it's "Setup Registration" and then back again with a key that will place it in its more permanent location with more standard groups.

Also keep in mind that there is a ZCC setting determining if a devices Registry Keys will be used to ensure group membership beyond initial registration.....if that is causing you an issue when you try and remove the device from the groups.

markvh;2490009 wrote:
Thanks Craig,
When our machines are building, we are using an application layering approach.
Machines are placed in Static and Dynamic groups, receiving bundle groups assigned to them.
The ark reg key could be used to place the machine in a group when it gets a group of applications which are installed.
After the machine has been built and frozen and there is no longer a requirement to have / see all these apps we want to remove the key so the device is removed from the group.
Can the device be removed from a group via a command from the client side, or only the back end which I am aware of?
Thanks
Mark
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Thanks Craig, we will go the unregister and re-register route.
Where is the setting you are referring to here:

Also keep in mind that there is a ZCC setting determining if a devices Registry Keys will be used to ensure group membership beyond initial registration.
.if that is causing you an issue when you try and remove the device from the groups.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What the Setting Does is not 100% obvious from the name itself....you need to look at the Help.....

ZCC->Configuration->Device Registration->Disable Use of Registration Keys sent by Managed Devices.

The device will use keys for its initial registration, when the object is created to determine where it is placed and the groups to which it should join.
However, once the device is created, administrators are free to change the groups it was added to automatically if the device is no longer supposed to be in those groups.

The "Feature" to cause devices to be forced back into groups upon refresh based on Device keys was added in the 11.4.x time frame.
I can't recall if it is on or off by default, but the setting was not enabled for existing zones.
Only 2017.x zone would have had the feature existing out of the box.

Honestly...the setting makes little sense to me, but a particular customer wanted it.
If I don't want staff managing a device's groups...I would not give that staff rights....
If I gave staff rights to change group membership and they changed it....i certainly would not want it automatically undone the next time the device refreshed 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.