dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Replacing a Imaging Server

Hi everyone,

We have 4 primary servers with version 11.2.1.6353. One of them is dedicated to Imaging. Actually, we have a problem with the preboot service that seems defect (novell-pbserv.exe) we have many errors on our Windows server events viewer. For now, I don't want to reinstall this server, don't want to change any configuration and versions.

my question: it is Ok to just shutdown this server ? This server doesn't have any other functions other than Imaging, so the 3 others primary servers will go on.... is there a problem to consider in let this server down?

After that I plan to just take another server and install zenworks 11.3 in a new zone, and reconnect my Images storage to it...

The purpose of doing all this is to let the original server unchanged for now...

thank you for your help and advice
DM
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Replacing a Imaging Server

Dominicm,
> We have 4 primary servers with version 11.2.1.6353. One of them is
> dedicated to Imaging

I generally use satellites for that, but procedure should be the same for any primary server:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_system_admin/data/bjyz9hq.html

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Highlighted
dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would prefer to not delete the existing zenworks server.... I'm hoping to just configure a new one. I will check anyway the procedure

thank you
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Dominicm,
> I would prefer to not delete the existing zenworks server.... I'm hoping
> to just configure a new one. I will check anyway the procedure

OK. In that case, just add another primary, but as I said, a satellite
will work equally well for imaging.

I was under the impression that you wanted to retire that server, but you
can equally well just remove the imaging role from it.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you install a mew 11.3 server you may have to recreate your images, if you use the highspeed drivers?

So you don't want to upgrade the old zone instead?

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

By experience, upgrading the primary servers is often resulting with problems.

For now, my problem with imaging seems more stable, so I'll wait before make any changes.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dominicm <dominicm@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> By experience, upgrading the primary servers is often resulting with
> problems.
>
> For now, my problem with imaging seems more stable, so I'll wait before
> make any changes.
>

Okay, yes there's always a chance of something to go wrong...

--
Nops

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.