Highlighted
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Reporting - System Listing Wrong in Product and Version

Zenworks Inventory / Reporting.

Using the System Listing report, device models are listed in 2 different columns, however only in one of the colums for each device:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QA24N4Nte08prOYGE870oDy_2nhIne3H/view?usp=sharing

This causes the report's to be wrong.

We are talking about arround 100+ Devices that show incorrectly.

Any idea how to clean it up?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Reporting - System Listing Wrong in Product and Version

pwolfe,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com

0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

pwolfe, I am seeing the same thing. If I run a report that has both the SystemModel and SystemProduct values in it, all on Dell WS, some of the WS will have 'SystemModel' populated properly with a value such as 'Optiplex 7020' while the 'SystemProduct' will have a value of '0' or '1'. In other cases, the 'SystemModel' will be blank and the 'SystemProduct' will be populated with the correct model such as 'Optiplex 7040'.

It appears that all WS of a type will have their model name in one of the two fields, so all Optiiplex 7010's will have the model show up in the 'SystemModel' field, while all Optiplex 7040's will have the model show up in the 'SystemProduct' field. However, I have at least one Optiplex 7010 that has the correct Model number showing up in the 'SystemProduct' field; unlike the other 7010s where the correct model name is showing up in the 'SystemModel' field.

This makes reporting very difficult, not to say confusing to higher ups who want to know why they have to look in two places to find the model number.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks,
Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The Fields are Populated Based upon WMI Data.
Not all Vendors Store the Same Values in the Same Fields.
Many Vendors are inconsistent even within their own products.

On your 7010s and 7040s and you run these queries....

wmic csproduct get Name, Vendor, Version
wmic computersystem get manufacturer, model, Name

I can almost assure you that What Dell Has chosen to store in those fields is not consistent.

For Example Sometimes a Vendor may put "Optiplex" and 7010 as Version.
Or they may put "Optiplex 7010 as Model" and "Version" as 2 as a means of differentiating various components in the 7010 build such as i5 vs i7.

Simply put...there is not any agreed upon industry standard for the data in these fields.....
Thus yes.....Different Computers will have those details in different places..because Hardware Vendors are not even internally consistent on where and how they store data.
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So this sucks. Basically you're telling me you can't get a meaningful inventory report.

On an Optiplex 7040, I ran the command: wmic computersystem get manufacturer, model, Name with the following results:
Manufacturer Model Name
Dell Inc. Optiplex 7040 WS12

So this returns the 'Model' as 'Optiplex 7040'. However, when I look at what ZENworks returns for 'SystemModel', it is blank for the same PC. The 'SystemProduct' value returns 'Optiplex 7040'. This seems to contradict what you are saying. If the wmic command returns the correct model for the model parameter, then I would think that ZCM would return that model for the 'SystemModel' parameter.

Am I missing something?

Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes you are missing something.
You are trying to equate things that do not equate.

Run BOTH Queries on a number of different devices where you are seeing different results.
You will find the WMI values do not align among the devices...even from the same vendor.

So while any ONE set of results may look valid and you can say to yourself...OK this WMI value represents this.....
It will look Equally correct on another device, but the data is again stored entirely different in different fields.

Since there is no industry standard in where or how the fields are stored, it can look confusing sometimes.
Vendors are not even always consistent internally.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

As Craig mentioned, we have seen that hardware vendors are not always consistent internally and there is no standard in where or how the fields are stored. Due to this, sometimes it becomes hard to get a consistent data from the device. Having said that, we are working on a solution for it and it should make it to ZENworks 2017 Update 3.

If you would like to try out the developer FTF for this issue, please raise a Service Request via our Support channel.
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

pwolfe;2476621 wrote:
Zenworks Inventory / Reporting.

Using the System Listing report, device models are listed in 2 different columns, however only in one of the colums for each device:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QA24N4Nte08prOYGE870oDy_2nhIne3H/view?usp=sharing

This causes the report's to be wrong.

We are talking about arround 100+ Devices that show incorrectly.

Any idea how to clean it up?

It was a confirmed bug. We tried a field patch that was unsuccessful. It was indicated this fix should be in the rollup / service pack out in the fall (Hopefully August)

Patrick
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Don't believe that or expect a change in behavior.
It is key to understand the nature of the issue.

Simply put different vendors store different details in different places.
Even the same vendor.

ZCM merges different fields together for a unifying view.
Since the input is not consistent...the merged output will not be consistent.
No patch can ever fix that.

Devs can try and add device specific logic...….but as a whole there cannot be a fix because it is now working as designed and the design has not and will not be changed in any rollup.
A few lines of code to handle specific devices differently but that's it.

The core issue will always be Vendors do not store WMI data consistently so any reports on WMI data will not be consistent....
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I had a really long post I thought I posted in response however Its now missing, So I might miss a few things, as I am writing this again. …..

Thanks Craig,

Yes, I understand what you are saying, working with ZCM support, they acknowledged and indicated I had a bug that would be fixed in the next release. They tried a Field patch that failed to work (Would not process anything).

I could be completely wrong here, however please let me know if this makes sense....

I believe, in this scenario, no values were in the wrong place via WMI, only how they are being stored in the Inventory XML file.

The below gives an overview of the fields and WMI commands. However my understanding of what was discovered was that the "Version" field for newer systems was "NULL". This was causing the ZCM Agent inventory to improperly store the values in the xml file as the field would be skipped in a way. The values still existed in WMI Correctly, however the it was in a way bypassing the "Version" field and shifting the model number to the "product name" field.

This caused the values to be now stored in two columns in the Sybase table, thus reporting is a pain.

As you can see below the 3020 is stored as it always has been, yet the 3050 is in the wrong location in the ******-full.xml

This would not be the first issue / confirmed bug I have had with ZCM 2017 and a null value creating the problems. I had one related to the configuration settings for invenotry. If the value to include certain items was left as unchecked it would not process any inventory. If you enabled the field it would process.

##############################################################
#Optiplex 3020
#optiplex 3020 - Inventory XML File: ****-Full.xml
<Product>
<ProductOID>3fd17e9a15a84340915fd8ecc73edf6e</ProductOID>
<Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer>
<ProductName>01</ProductName>
<ModelVersion>OptiPlex 3020</ModelVersion>
<Type>22</Type>
#
#
#optiplex 3020 - WMI Commands
#
wmic csproduct get Name"," Vendor"," Version

Name Vendor Version
OptiPlex 3020 Dell Inc. 00

wmic computersystem get manufacturer"," Model"," Name

Manufacturer Model Name
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3020 50184-PWOLFE

##############################################################
#Optiplex 3050
#Optiplex 3050 - Inventory XML File: ****-Full.xml

<Product>
<ProductOID>56b44a19b0ea4649bfc9e5b0bc0afaae</ProductOID>
<Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer>
<ProductName>OptiPlex 3050</ProductName>
<ModelVersion />
<Type>22</Type>

#
#
#optiplex 3050 - WMI Commands
#
wmic csproduct get Name"," Vendor"," Version

Name Vendor Version
OptiPlex 3050 Dell Inc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wmic computersystem get manufacturer"," Model"," Name

Manufacturer Model Name
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 3050 50282-JZQTJB2

~Patrick
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.