mmiller667 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Running Package based installers.

Hi there..

Any hints on running package based installers through a bundle?

Im trying to install the iPrint package by first storing the pkg file in a folder under the users folder, which works fine so far however I cant get the installer to launch the package.

The command I'm issuing is "installer -pkg "$HOME/WSD/iPrint.pkg" -target /" it works fine if i run it from a terminal prompt so Im sure its something small I'm missing..

The output from the zac bin command is "An error occurred while executing the program. Error is: installer: No such file or directory"

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-- Matt D. Miller Winnipeg School Division
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Running Package based installers.

mmiller667;2255619 wrote:
Hi there..

Any hints on running package based installers through a bundle?

Im trying to install the iPrint package by first storing the pkg file in a folder under the users folder, which works fine so far however I cant get the installer to launch the package.

The command I'm issuing is "installer -pkg "$HOME/WSD/iPrint.pkg" -target /" it works fine if i run it from a terminal prompt so Im sure its something small I'm missing..

The output from the zac bin command is "An error occurred while executing the program. Error is: installer: No such file or directory"

Any help is greatly appreciated!

mmiller667,

You're assuming that the currently logged in user is an administrator, which they might not be.

I think your best best would be to throw the installer someplace static that is not different on a per-user basis (e.g. /tmp/installers/) and launch it from there as root.

I'm not sure how you've got your run script action configured, but if it's set to run as root, root will have a different $HOME than the currently logged in user, and if you're copying the PKG down to the currently logged in user's profile, but trying to run it as root, you'd probably see this sort of an issue.

Just a thought.

pitcherj
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Ok,, Ive done as you sudjested above and started stashing the package in /tmp/installers/

The script "installer -pkg /tmp/installers/iPrint.pkg -target /" still returns the same "Installer: command not found" error.. I do have it set to run as root so permissions should be ok..

My life would be so much simpler if i could just get the iprint client installed and push out printers with the iprntcmd command.

0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mmiller667;2255646 wrote:
Ok,, Ive done as you sudjested above and started stashing the package in /tmp/installers/

The script "installer -pkg /tmp/installers/iPrint.pkg -target /" still returns the same "Installer: command not found" error.. I do have it set to run as root so permissions should be ok..

My life would be so much simpler if i could just get the iprint client installed and push out printers with the iprntcmd command.

mmiller667,

In your script, try specifying the full path to the installer binary (/usr/sbin/installer).

By the way, even if iPrint is installed you're still going to have to upload the PPD driver from a Windows XP machine to iManager, and even then the PPD file has to be present locally on the workstation in order for iPrint to install the printer successfully. (At least, it was this way the last time I tried things...)

pitcherj
Absent Member.

ThankYou!

This is what finally worked for me..

/usr/sbin/installer -pkg /tmp/installers/iPrint.pkg -target /

Suppose it came down to my lack of familiarity with Linux.. Ive installed the client now and i have bundles calling iprntcmd to install printers.

Having the ppd driver uploaded to the broker and assigned as a Mac driver in the printer object works and the drivers push down just as they do on our windows machines.. Ive only tried a few various printers so far and the drivers pushed properly, hopefully that continues and we dont run into what you described below.

Myself and our 1500 macs thank you greatly!!

pitcherj;2256503 wrote:
mmiller667,

In your script, try specifying the full path to the installer binary (/usr/sbin/installer).

By the way, even if iPrint is installed you're still going to have to upload the PPD driver from a Windows XP machine to iManager, and even then the PPD file has to be present locally on the workstation in order for iPrint to install the printer successfully. (At least, it was this way the last time I tried things...)

pitcherj

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.