Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Satellite Server Refresh Time not Updating - Last Full Refresh

Good day, 

We have a number of Satellite servers in our environment that are running on SLED 11 SP4 Desktops, with the ZCM 11.4.3.23202 engine on them. The customer environment is 11.4.3 with 4 Primary Servers. 

Basically these Satellite Servers in question are showing their last contact times correctly about once a day they are showing a last contact time for ex: one of the servers I checked today had a Contact time of 02:18 AM which is correct to me. However; the Last Full Refresh time is showing as May 29th, of this year, and it hasn't been advancing as I would normally expect this process to do so. 

Of the servers that I have checked to this point, only 1 of them seems to be updating properly, and it shows that in some cases it has failed to replicate content (which is normal at this point). 

Is there something that I can check on those failing Satellites to see why they are not refreshing their Full Refresh Time(s)

Thank you, 

Daniel  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Satellite Server Refresh Time not Updating - Last Full Refresh

zmd-messages.log would show if any errors are taking place.

Keep in mind...The last full refresh detail is based upon the status being uploaded to a collection server, relayed to a primary, and processed by loader.  So it's possible they are fully refreshing but status files are not being being uploaded or processed.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Good morning, 

On the Sat server itself, under the /var/opt/novell/zenworks/work/collection/collectionStatsDB directory I see that those files haven't been updated since May 22 the db.lck dbex.lck and the tmp directory all show the same date as last being accessed. 

There are only three files in the /var/opt/novell/zenworks/work/inventory directory and those files are dated from Sep 2017. 

In the directory, /var/opt/novell/zenworks/work/content/contentStatsDB - all those files are dated May 23rd, of this year, db.lck, dbex.lck along with the tmp directory and the log directory is dated May 24th. Can that be a coincidence that the last Full refresh is also reporting as May 23rd?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

I guess it is just a coincidence as the one server that is working also has a date of May 15th on it's files yet that system is showing it's last full refresh as this morning at 02:33 AM

What other location on the Sat server can I check to see that might have messages backing up?

Thank you for your assistance
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Good morning 

The Sat server that I'm currently working on, I have it's Parent Primary server identified. What directory on the Parent Primary Server do I need to look into to see if it's status messages are indeed backing up? 

Again thank you for any assistance you can offer, 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The Parent Primary does not matter......The Collection Server matters.  The collection server may even be the satellite itself. "zac zc -l"  (That is an "L") will list all of the servers including the collection server. 

In short, the zmd-messages.log will show any errors that occur doing a full refresh against the listed "Configuration" Servers.  Forcing a full refresh and looking for errors could be useful.

The zmd-messages.log should also show any errors trying to roll-up it's status to the collection server.  If no errors are seeing during refresh, then try and force a status rollup.....Look for errors.  If it uploads successfully to it's collection server....I would check the server to see if the collection files are building up and not being processed.  Note: On the Satellite, the processing of those logs....would be relaying them up to a primary.  One the satellite, this is still tracked by the zmd-messages.log.  One they make it to the primary, the process is tracked by loader-messages.log.

If the issue is only seen on a few devices....then the issue is more likely to be the device itself and not the collection server.  If it was the collection server not rolling up status files, then the issue would be seen on any device using that collection server.

Sometimes on Linux you can get "ZOMBIE" processes that "stick" even after they are stopped and need to be killed.  You may want to make sure there are not multiple copies of the same agent process and that after stopping the process they all actually stop.  If not, you may need to kill the PID and then start the agent services again.

However, an SR may be best to troubleshoot stuff.  I would rather suggestion trying stuff on a satellite that may make things worse...especially when throwing out random ideas....

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.