bills302 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Server Backup

Does anyone know what this command does
zman zenserver-backup path_to_backup_file_to_create
and what this file contains. I made a mistake by taking a backup for 10.3 and now I have 11 and I dont have the correct backup to restore. The CA backup seemed to work just fine but now the new install packages do not contain the correct cert. I do have the whole old 11 install directory and I imagine its just a bunch of files that it copies and restores anyhow. Does anyone know what I would need to copy back or if this is even possible? Thanks, BD
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server Backup

bills302,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

bills302;2102241 wrote:
Does anyone know what this command does
zman zenserver-backup path_to_backup_file_to_create
and what this file contains. I made a mistake by taking a backup for 10.3 and now I have 11 and I dont have the correct backup to restore. The CA backup seemed to work just fine but now the new install packages do not contain the correct cert. I do have the whole old 11 install directory and I imagine its just a bunch of files that it copies and restores anyhow. Does anyone know what I would need to copy back or if this is even possible? Thanks, BD

The zman zenserver-backup makes a backup of the ZCM server's configuration it's executed on. This makes it possible to restore the servers configuration/identity next to also restoring the CA and ZCM database. (more info on the backup/restore commands can be found here : Novell Doc: ZENworks 11 Command Line Utilities Reference - zman (1) )

Are you having issues after upgrading 10.3 to 11... or are you doing a disaster recovery of a 11.x ZCM environment?

If it's an upgrade issue you are facing, I'd not recommend to try restoring any backed up data and first try to find the issue... it could also be there is a problem with the client deployment packages and the server is fine.

What is the agent on the server reporting? Is that communicating normally?

If it's a server restore you are attempting... it might be possible to restore the servers ZCM configuration/identity with a file from 10.3... but I'd recommend opening an SR with Novell as it's straying from the procedure officially outlined.

-Willem
0 Likes
bills302 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The server was fine after the upgrade, but then the server went down and I had to try to restore from backup. The problem was that I made the backups when the server was 10.3. I was able to restore the CA and the CA role and all old clients are talking to the new "restored" server just fine, however when I install the package on a new client it seems like it has the wrong certs. I did rebuld the packages and still nothing. It looks like the old certs were restored to the server, however where ever it pulls the certs from to build packages are new certs that do not work. So I am thinking its just a matter of swapping out the actual cert files on the server somewhere so when it rebuilds the client packs it puts in the correct "old" one. Any ideas where it pulls those files from?0 Thanks, Bill
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

bills302;2104416 wrote:
The server was fine after the upgrade, but then the server went down and I had to try to restore from backup. The problem was that I made the backups when the server was 10.3. I was able to restore the CA and the CA role and all old clients are talking to the new "restored" server just fine, however when I install the package on a new client it seems like it has the wrong certs. I did rebuld the packages and still nothing. It looks like the old certs were restored to the server, however where ever it pulls the certs from to build packages are new certs that do not work. So I am thinking its just a matter of swapping out the actual cert files on the server somewhere so when it rebuilds the client packs it puts in the correct "old" one. Any ideas where it pulls those files from?0 Thanks, Bill

Not sure but checking if I can find out... If this has a high prio, opening an SR would be the better ticket.

From what version did you upgrade? 10.3.0? 10.3.1...?

-Willem
0 Likes
bills302 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It was 10.3.0 and that is what the server backup file was taken from.
Its not really high priority because it is not in production yet, but we were close and I kinda wanted to see if I could save it. If I cant then I think I will just wipe the server and start a new zone (we were thinking about changing the DB anyway). Thanks for the help, BD
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

bills302;2104506 wrote:
It was 10.3.0 and that is what the server backup file was taken from.
Its not really high priority because it is not in production yet, but we were close and I kinda wanted to see if I could save it. If I cant then I think I will just wipe the server and start a new zone (we were thinking about changing the DB anyway). Thanks for the help, BD

The cleanest way out of this I see, without having to rebuild everything... is to see if you can do a restore on 10.3.x (assuming you have the three backup components - all of the same 10.3.x version, CA-ZenDB-ZenSrvCfg) and redo the upgrade to 11.0.

Is that a way to go?

By changing DB... you mean MSSQL/Oracle over Sybase? Or doing an external Sybase setup?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.