nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Server Referral List

I have a question regarding the "Server Referral List"

It is commented as a list for servers OUTSIDE the zone, and I get that. :cool:
But what if I have a single PXE server, and would like for it to send request (form pxe clients) to a couple of other (satellite) servers holding the TFTP content (imaging files), then the PXE server could choose the closest server by the locations that I have specified. Is it possible? Or do I have to enable the PXE service on every server for it to work?

Thanks in advance.:)

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server Referral List

Ups, a spelling bee, it shold be "... send requests (from pxe clients)".

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
theflyingcorpse Absent Member.
Absent Member.

not automatically no, its easier to get clients to work against the sat's themselves.

Another option is some custom scripting which could just ask(interpret/find) for your "office/location" and set the variables therafter, ie by subnet.
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I was familiar with with scripting options, or I know that there are som opportunities in that area. But still I had to define the locations in the script every time I create a new location/Network Environment.

And yes it would be easier to get the clients to work against the sat's, but if I choose that, then I had to configure IP-helpers on every VLAN for all the sat's, instead of just one PXE server.
It would work if I had one sat pr. VLAN, but that is not the goal 😉 (have over 100 VLAN's)

For me (us) it just would be nice if there was a way for the PXE server to do it by our locations (or just had the ability to redirect a request to another server, holding the TFTP content), but yes, don't know how many that could or would have the use and benefits of that?

It's maby just one of them "nice to have" things 🙂

0 Likes
Absent Member.

I think you could create an core logic script + a CSV file where you have 2 rows, subnet/broadcast/gateway + sat's IP.
The core logic downloads the CSV file from the central server, dos2unix, then parse it to find proper sat, based on the clients own broadcast address or similar.
If match, set proxyaddr accordingly.
If not found, either give a message to the user that its in an unkown location or use the central imaging server.

This way, you can easily update just the CSV file, the core logic would "just" need to set the PROXYADDR correct if the images are the same all about.

The reason why I would use a CSV file is because its easy to update using Excel/Calc and you can delegate to other people than yourself to update it, as part of a routine 😉
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Depending on your network layout, it might not matter where its placed. The place where I work has well over 500 VLAN's, but due to the design of the network, with firewalls and such, there are just really 16 physical locations(where the VRF's are) where I would need to put at least 2 imaging servers, for each firewall zone for the clients...

A lot easier to use 2 imaging servers at the Core itself, when the backbone can handle it 😉
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have about 50-60 physical locations but gladly no firewall between Them 😉 and yes for us it would properly be more easy just to make two of the primaries imaging servers. But I Think i'm still going to look a little into your notes, thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.