schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Setting Bundles to Install Once

We recently upgraded our Zenworks from ZDM 7 to ZCM 11.4.2. We also changed from Novell eDir to Microsoft AD. The issue I am having is with the way bundles are being installed. In our previous setup, all the application objects were set at "Run Once", then we would update the source files every night and increase the version by one. When the users came in the next day, it would only run the application objects that have an increased version number. We do this so all the applications are not running every time somebody logs in. With ZCM 11.4.2, I am trying to replicate this setup but it seems that when a user logs in, the Adaptive Agent is not refreshing soon enough. For example, if I increase a bundle from version 1 to version 2, when a user logs in, I look in the properties and it is still listed as version 1. I have tried changing the Random Time to Wait in the refresh section of ZCM. I have also tried a login script to run a "zac ref general bypasscache" but this does not always work as sometimes the agent is running the bundles before the script is ran. Is there any way to have a bundle install only if the bundle version is different? Or have the agent refresh before launching the bundles?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Setting Bundles to Install Once

Set the Bundle to Run on "Refresh" not "Logon".
ZDM7 ran on refresh and to replicate this in ZCM you must set on Refresh.
The issue is that if you run at a "Logon" event, this will occur before the refresh occurs.

Note: Yes, There is a "Run Once" setting under both the "Install" and "Launch" tabs, depending on which ones you want.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It's been a long time since I've heard "I've just upgraded from ZDM", but one key item I always stressed to folks who switched to ZCM from ZDM..........

Don't try to make ZCM work like ZDM.
Figure out what you need to do and the best way to do this in ZCM.

And keep doing what you are doing and Ask Ask Ask!
0 Likes
schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the information. I know that the ZDM went off of a refresh but they were all set to "run once". I tried to install the bundles on refresh but the only way I could get the refresh to work was with a login script. I found that setting it up that way was the same as install always. I figured out that if I put the logon script in a GPO, it was running and refreshing the agent before the bundles would install, which is exactly what I wanted to happen. It would be nice if there is an option of install bundle only when version is changed.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

"It would be nice if there is an option of install bundle only when version is changed." - There are............

Please Drop me a Note at Craig_D_Wilson@Yahoo.com and reference Forums in the Title.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.