howard_j78 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Since ZCM 10.2 can no longer remote control clients

Since upgrading to 10.2, we can no longer remote control our clients with the built in remote control function in ZCM 10.2. We have un-installed the remote management agent from add/remove programs and re-installed it. We keep getting an error message when attempting to remote control "Effective settings are set to not allow remote management on indicated device". Policies are effective on the device according to the agent, but did notice that the file "novell-rm-policy.ini" no longer exists on any of the computers 10.2 or earlier, which according to what is indicated in the windows registry is needed. We can use VnC to remote control the computers after applying the "use password" policy listed in the policy and that works OK. I would really like to use the integrated VnC function of ZCM rather than having to use a third party viewer.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Since ZCM 10.2 can no longer remote control clients

howard,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
howard_j78 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Automatic reply;1817896 wrote:
howard,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit NOVELL: Support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
NOVELL FORUMS - FAQ

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
Untitled Document

In case anyone was curious, I re-applied the 10.2 update using the followin TID: System update 10.2 only partially installed and now everything works as it should once again.
0 Likes
rsamborn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was recieving "Effective settings are set to not allow remote management on indicated device" as well and though after a quick check through my install logs i could not see any errors i re-ran the update again following the TID provided below and now my remote mgt works fine.

Thanks for the heads up
howard_j78;1824264 wrote:
In case anyone was curious, I re-applied the 10.2 update using the followin TID: System update 10.2 only partially installed and now everything works as it should once again.
0 Likes
kmaule Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi there,
We have the same error: "Effective settings are set to not allow remote management on indicated device" but this is on a clean install of the 10.2 agent over a previous ZFD 7 agent. The solution in the TID above could not be used as we did not have the systems-update directory in the path "c:\program files\novell\zenworks\logs\system-update\427b1afe45a1b7e8991f50231f0e7c82\update_commands.xml

The policy shows it is effective in the ZCC and from the workstation Adaptive Agent properties screen, the remote management agent is "running". Any ideas?
Cheers,
Kirk
0 Likes
kmaule Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The TightVNC method does work after enabling the feature in the policy. hmm.
0 Likes
kmaule Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This was imediately solved by upgrading the server and client agent to 10.2.1.
Cheers,
Kirk
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.