luminous00 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Steps on moving external database from SQL 2005 to 2008 R2?

We're in the process of upgrading the main database server from Server 2003 R2 to Server 2008 R2, as well as from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2 in preparation to going to ZCM 11 SP1? Can someone post the steps in doing this? I can't seem to find anything helpful in doing this migration. We want to keep the same server name and IP address, I'm building a 2008 R2 box right now. I'm nervous in doing this as I can't find anything that documents our exact situation.
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Steps on moving external database from SQL 2005 to 2008 R2?

luminous00,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Steps on moving external database from SQL 2005 to 2008

luminous00;2128844 wrote:
We're in the process of upgrading the main database server from Server 2003 R2 to Server 2008 R2, as well as from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2 in preparation to going to ZCM 11 SP1? Can someone post the steps in doing this? I can't seem to find anything helpful in doing this migration. We want to keep the same server name and IP address, I'm building a 2008 R2 box right now. I'm nervous in doing this as I can't find anything that documents our exact situation.

Have a look at this thread, mainly the pointers given by Craig : ZCM 11 Database Requiremnts

The red line being:

craig_wilson;2126570 wrote:
<snip>

Unless you are running ZCM 10.2.x, there is no reason for ZCM 11.
You can upgrade ZCM 10.3.x directly to ZCM 11 SP1.

So you

#1 - Shut Down ZCM.
#2 - Upgrade to Databae (Sybase, MS SQL, or Oracle) In your case to SQL
2008 R2
#3 - Upgrade ZCM to 11 SP1

<snip>

and

craig_wilson;2126625 wrote:
In your case, I would upgrade to 2008 Compatibility Mode and let that
cook for a while. Then Upgrade ZEN.

That way you can isolate issues to the SQL Upgrade vs ZEN upgrade.

On 8/9/2011 10:16 AM, luke ross wrote:
<snip>
> We are currently running ZCM11 with SQL2005. Really the other steps
> were to verify that the upgrade worked properly. So you're suggesting we
> just upgrade database and zen immediately after?
>
> Thanks,
> Luke
>
>

Hope that helps,
Willem
0 Likes
michelle79 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Steps on moving external database from SQL 2005 to 2008

Hi Luminous, in regards to just the DB side of things, I went through the process of moving our SQL 2005 DB to a new SQL 2008 R2 DB yesterday. It was pretty painless following this Novell Documentation. I used the MS SQL move/copy DB wizard to do an offline copy while the ZCM services were stopped. One step I did forget to do afterwards was to enable the SQL sa user account that was created on the new server during the DB migration. Without that vital step I could log in to the web console and thought I'd stuffed the whole thing up. It kept telling me that the database was corrupt, not accessible or invalid.

How are you planning to do the rest of the upgrade? Upgrade O/S's, or move to new servers then upgrade ZCM, etc? Our servers are so out of date and still running on Win2k3! I have to take this upgrade one small step at a time.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.