jkillebrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Surface Pro 3 BSOD

We're getting frequent BSOD with---

• Surface Pro 3
  • Windows 8.1 (updated to Win 10 to attempt to fix but no luck)
  • ZCM FTF Roll Up 1 for ZENworks (11.3.2) (updated to FTF attempt to fix but no luck)
  • Connect to a Miracast remote display device, or sometimes on login or shutdown or just randomly.

Ever since we got our first Surface Pro 3 we've been seeing occasional BSODs, mostly at login or shutdown. Now that we're rolling out Miracast devices for remote display, the problem has gotten out of control. More than 50% of the time Windows will BSOD with ndis.sys or zeswifi.sys or irql_not_less_or_equal errors. Maybe this has something to do with the temporary virtual network connection created when connecting to a miracast device? We are in desparate need of a solution. Completely removing zen seems to be the only fix. Is there some way to remove ZES but keep the rest of zen? We aren't licensed for anything ZESM related. I realize it supports location awareness.

I'd open a SR but we're education licensed and don't get any freebies.
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
26 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Surface Pro 3 BSOD

jkillebrew;2402343 wrote:
We're getting frequent BSOD with---

• Surface Pro 3
  • Windows 8.1 (updated to Win 10 to attempt to fix but no luck)
  • ZCM FTF Roll Up 1 for ZENworks (11.3.2) (updated to FTF attempt to fix but no luck)
  • Connect to a Miracast remote display device, or sometimes on login or shutdown or just randomly.

Ever since we got our first Surface Pro 3 we've been seeing occasional BSODs, mostly at login or shutdown. Now that we're rolling out Miracast devices for remote display, the problem has gotten out of control. More than 50% of the time Windows will BSOD with ndis.sys or zeswifi.sys or irql_not_less_or_equal errors. Maybe this has something to do with the temporary virtual network connection created when connecting to a miracast device? We are in desparate need of a solution. Completely removing zen seems to be the only fix. Is there some way to remove ZES but keep the rest of zen? We aren't licensed for anything ZESM related. I realize it supports location awareness.

I'd open a SR but we're education licensed and don't get any freebies.

Are you using Location Awareness Lite? https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_sys_location/data/b13x6kdh.html

Thomas
0 Likes
networkedd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;2402379 wrote:
Are you using Location Awareness Lite? https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_sys_location/data/b13x6kdh.html

Thomas

Hello. Just wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem? We are in a similar situation with both Lenovo Yoga 14 & Dell Latitude 7450 (8.1) with Zen Agent 11.3.2.62162 FTF Roll Up 1, BSOD and reboot when moving location or attached to miracast devices. When reading the MEMORY.dump files it always seems to be related to either ndis.sys or zeswifi.sys. Two devices today were both related to the latter.

Thanks for any info!

Regards,

Edward
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

networkedd;2413110 wrote:
Hello. Just wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem? We are in a similar situation with both Lenovo Yoga 14 & Dell Latitude 7450 (8.1) with Zen Agent 11.3.2.62162 FTF Roll Up 1, BSOD and reboot when moving location or attached to miracast devices. When reading the MEMORY.dump files it always seems to be related to either ndis.sys or zeswifi.sys. Two devices today were both related to the latter.

Thanks for any info!

Regards,

Edward

The best place would be to start is location lite.
0 Likes
micgra Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2413149 wrote:
The best place would be to start is location lite.

Hello, we have the same issue with Surface 3 and ZCM 11.3.2 ans Windows 8.1.
How to fix??

Thanka.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The best place would be to start is Location lite..............
0 Likes
nshawatnovell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is a FTF to replace the ZesWiiFi driver, with a fix for this BSOD.

Self extracting EXE to patch to 11.4.1 ZesWiFi, this driver is NOT Microsoft Certified (WHQLed)

A release version of this driver will be included in the ZENworks 11.4.2 update.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Keep in mind, the driver is 100% optional for nearly all deployments unless using ZESM to lock down the device.

There will not be an official updated driver until ZCM 11.4.2.
There is not any official 11.4.1 patch.
mkmorris Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Love it.

We have had this issue on one of our Surface Pro 3's as well. I identified the issue earlier this morning and had already Disabled the Zenworks Endpoint Security service (and just now we rebooted to clear it). In ours ndis.sys, ntoskrnl and zeswifi were the standard culprites with one or two filtmgr.sys as well.

So to confirm. Disabling the ZES service and rebooting should also acheive the same result as trying to get the FTF patch and/or waiting until 11.4.2? Assuming we DO NOT use Endpoint Security (we have Configuration Management only).

I've bothered Novell support enough this week and we only as of this morning got up to 11.4.1 and I really don't want to run a non WHQL driver if we're not using the bloody thing anyway.

Cheers.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, Don't Disable the ZES Service....That is necessary for ANY Location Services.

Set the ZESM Spoke to Uninstalled (This is in the Agent Settings Property)
Set to Location Lite.

Never change from these settings unless your are licensed for ZESM and using ZESM as a security product and want it to control your Network Card.

In MSINFO32 you will currently see 2 ZESM Drivers ZESxxxx under the Drivers Section.
Once Location Lite is enabled, these will go away. (With the ZESM Spoke Disabled)
0 Likes
daniel_99_1999 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Craig,

Could you confirm just where the ZESM Spoke is in the settings? I'm looking at "Agent Settings" under Configuration and all I have listed are:

Image Management
Bundle Management
Remote Management
Policy Management
User Management
Asset Management
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

daniel_99_1999;2423198 wrote:
Hi Craig,

Could you confirm just where the ZESM Spoke is in the settings? I'm looking at "Agent Settings" under Configuration and all I have listed are:

Image Management
Bundle Management
Remote Management
Policy Management
User Management
Asset Management

----------------------------
Verify that Location Lite is Enabled and that Client Self-Defense is Off, and that should cause the ZESWIFI Driver to not load.

If you are not Licensed for ZESM, the option to set it to uninstalled will not appear.
Normally if not licensed, that should be sufficient.

I've seen a few cases were a trial key was needed to get access to turn it off, but that is not normally the case.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

OK thanks, nice to see I don't need new glasses!

We already have location lite enabled, and self-defense is disabled already.

Do you know any rough time scales for the 11.4.2 release?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you run MSINFO32, Is and look at Drivers is ZESWIFI loaded?

If it is NOT loaded, you have a different issue.
If it IS loaded, it should not be and that should be addressed.
Can you open an SR and post the number here?

If you can't open an SR, send me an email to craig_d_wilson@yahoo.com with Novell Forums in the subject so it stands out.
Please note here that you sent something, because I don't check my personal email during the day very often.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Craig,

Yup, they're there. I'll get a call logged and get back to you.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.