bryanlakatos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Switch from full install to appliance?

Hi everyone - I searched around for some answers to my questions, but I couldn't find anything that I felt directly addressed our situation, so I thought I'd ask to be sure of things. I find these things can get pretty complicated quickly...

We have been running ZENworks 11.2.x on a 32-bit SLES server for a while. We'd like to move to sp3 (and then onto sp4, now that I see it's out), but I understand that sp3 requires a 64-bit server. Our idea for a solution was to:

1. spin up a 64-bit sp2 virtual appliance as another primary in the zone
2. uninstall / unregister our original non-appliance 32-bit server
3. do the appliance migration / upgrade to sp3

I couldn't find anything in any documentation that said this wouldn't be possible, but we're running into some errors and alarming warnings on the way, thus I'm asking in these forums. There are warnings in the documentation that if we uninstall our first primary server in the zone, we'll lose our database (it's internal) because the database only lives on the first primary. It's hard for me to believe that we can never retire the first primary ZENworks server we set up, so that raises the question of what is meant by "first?" Is it first chronologically, or is it first as in the other primary server is below it in server hierarchy?

Assuming that "first" is speaking hierarchically, and not chronologically, how should we uninstall ZENworks from the 32-bit server? I am unsure on which server I'm supposed to run the zenuninstall script from, the one being retired (a full-on SLES box for us) or the one that will remain (the 11sp3 appliance). Also, I've read that the appliance doesn't actually allow the running of zenuninstall, so if I'm not supposed to run that script from the retiring server, how should I run it? Or is my only option deleting the server via ZCC's server hierarchy section?

As you can see, I've got a lot of interlocking questions that I can't seem to find confident answers to in the documentation. Any help from the forum crew is much appreciated!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Switch from full install to appliance?

Before Retiring the "1st" Server you will need to move it's roles and functions to the 2nd server.
This would include the "Certificate Authority" Role.
You would also need to Install Sybase on the 2nd server, move the database, and make sure the 2nd server had the Database role.

The Docs around this process have been improving over time.
You may find more details in the 11.3 docs than the 11.2 docs. (They should be close but likely not exact.....the version of Sybase does change for example.)

My answer may not cover everything, but it is indeed possible.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks for your reply, Craig. A couple of questions remain:

I'm still not sure what is meant by "first primary server" - is my assumption that it is first hierarchically and not chronologically correct? And what about the zenuninstall command - can it run from an appliance to retire a non-appliance? The documentation on this part in particular isn't clear on where to run these commands.

Thanks,
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Doing some research on how to transfer from one primary server to another, and I noticed that the documentation says that the two servers must match in ZENworks versions. Our original server is at 11.2.3a and the new appliance is at 11.2.0 - is that close enough? If not, what's the right way to update a ZENworks appliance? Should I see an update to deploy via ZCC or do I use a manual upgrade .zip? I've looked but can't find any mention of appliances in the 11.2.3a or 11.2.4 documentation, nor do I find any minor number (i.e. 2.4._) upgrade information in the virtual appliance documentation.

Really feeling like I'm grasping at straws here. Quite frustrated at the information runaround I've spent all day in. Any detailed help is supremely appreciated.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Oops! Sorry, I meant (i.e. 11.2._) in my previous message.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI0MaIwI-2M&app=desktop

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Bryanlakatos,
> Our original server is at 11.2.3a and
> the new appliance is at 11.2.0 - is that close enough? If not, what's
> the right way to update a ZENworks appliance?

I would like to have them match. The appliance is updated by
downloading the upgrade and then installing. It was meant to be a very
slick procedure, but because some of the "mechanics" has issues with
large files, it is semi-automatic: Download and then issue a command on
the appliance.

In your case, I would bring both servers to 11.2.4:
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=ZCUFlvDkC9w~

The resdme file has step-by step instructions.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Bryanlakatos,
> I'm still not sure what is meant by "first primary server" - is my
> assumption that it is first hierarchically and not chronologically
> correct?

Chronologically. The first server you install, when you create the ZONE
becomes the CA

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

OK, first, thanks for all the help so far. We've gotten both primary servers to 11.2.4, and are now at the step of transferring the db from the old to the new primary server. we're following these documentation steps: https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_system_admin/data/by1ksnu.html

All has gone fine until step 16 on that page, where we assign the "Database" role to the new primary server. Here's the suggested SQL command:

update zZENServerRoles set id=<0xNew DB servers GUID>, position=(select max(position) from zZENServerRoles where id=<0xNew DB servers GUID>)+1 where Roles='Database'

We have figured out (thanks to some handy syntax errors and a little querying of the existing tables) that the actual command we put into the SQL editor should NOT include the <> brackets and SHOULD include the 0x. When we run the command, though, we get "0 row(s) updated" and when we query the table zZENServerRoles with a "select * from zZENServerRoles;" we see no "Database" role for any server that the update command would change. Which validates the 0 rows updated, but is puzzling, to say the least.

So, is this yet another error in the documentation? Should we add a Database role? Perhaps 11.2.4 doesn't need it? Again, any help is appreciated and since we're potentially in server limbo, quicker answers are more appreciated. 😉
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Alright - slight update:

We realized why there was no Database role... The documentation was a bit unclear to us. It's still in error, as it says to delete the Database row, then change it. Well, of course there will be no Database Role row after it's been deleted! Gotta love debugging someone else's documentation!

Hopefully our adventures help someone else in the future.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Another update:

We were able to get the database transferred, started, and make the required role changes. Next question:

We ran the command "zman zsret first_primary_server_object_name" from the documentation to retire the first primary server. It gave us an error, that according to the zman log had something to do with a java exception. That said, it appears to have sort of worked anyway, sort of. Now, ZCC is listing only the new server in the "Server Hierarchy," but it does say there are still 2 servers. (see pic, and yes, I did look under the server that's showing)

We shut down the first primary server to run things for a bit from only the new server, and so far everything is working as it should. Assuming everything stays happy with only the new server, how should we proceed to fully remove the old first primary? I've still seen that the zenuninstall command can't be run from an appliance, and since the first server isn't showing in ZCC, now I can't force a deletion from there either.

It's been arduous, but I feel we're actually quite close to being able to migrate easily (hopefully) to sp4 via the appliance-to-appliance process. Thanks for the help.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Bryanlakatos,
> It gave us an
> error, that according to the zman log had something to do with a java
> exception.

What was the actual error message?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Now I'm thinking that perhaps the "1 of 2" thing is not quite a problem, more of a bug. Our first primary is listed as retired in Devices > Servers. I've still provided the log section for the retirement at the bottom of this post.

This morning's mystery: already-installed zenwork clients on workstations are logging in without issue at Windows startup. Newly installed clients, however, are never registering to our zone. Our first primary, now retired, is also powered down. What I've realized that I don't know, and this might be the key: How does a newly installed zenworks client get things like server and zone information?
The only option we have on the installer script is "-q" - and running the installer manually without the -q didn't prompt me to input any server or zone information. I feel like this could be important information. I'll dive into the documentation, but, as always, any help or guidance is appreciated.

So, I guess the retirement command did work despite its error. Here's what I _THINK_ is the pertinent section from the zman.log:

[DEBUG] [8/6/15 3:45:55 PM] [] [ZMan] [1] [] [Command: zsret zcm1 --TerminalDevice=/dev/pts/0 --ScreenDimension=22 80 ] [] []
[DEBUG] [8/6/15 3:46:10 PM] [] [ZMan] [1] [] [Error:An internal error occurred. Please see the zman log for full stack trace.] [] []
[DEBUG] [8/6/15 3:46:10 PM] [] [CommandRunner] [1] [] [java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.CommandRunner.execute(CommandRunner.java:94)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.ZMan.executeRunner(ZMan.java:327)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.ZMan.runCommand(ZMan.java:530)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.ZMan.main(ZMan.java:464)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.ZManExecutor.execute(ZManExecutor.java:101)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.ZManExecutor.main(ZManExecutor.java:41)
Caused by: com.novell.zenworks.zman.exceptions.ZManException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.exceptions.ZManExceptionHandler.handleException(ZManExceptionHandler.java:235)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.exceptions.ZManExceptionHandler.handleException(ZManExceptionHandler.java:68)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.commands.ManagedDeviceHandler.retireDevice(ManagedDeviceHandler.java:1028)
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.commands.ManagedDeviceHandler.removePrimaryServer(ManagedDeviceHandler.java:841)
... 10 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.novell.zenworks.zman.commands.ManagedDeviceHandler.retireDevice(ManagedDeviceHandler.java:1012)
... 11 more
] [] []
[DEBUG] [8/6/15 3:46:11 PM] [] [ZMan] [1] [] [Command failed (partially or totally)] [] []
[DEBUG] [8/6/15 3:46:11 PM] [] [ZMan] [1] [] [Command completed in 16039 ms] [] []
[DEBUG] [8/6/15 3:46:11 PM] [] [ZMan] [1] [] [ERROR Code: 11] [] []
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Bryanlakatos,
> How does a newly installed
> zenworks client get things like server and zone information?

How do you install the agent? Normally registration is handled through
registration rules.

Devices will use the INITIAL-WEB-SERVICE file in the
%zenworks_home%\conf directory to re-establish connection to the zone.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Sorry for that. Pretty please provide feedback on the actual doc page
as it goes directly to the author.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.