ppellegr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Transforms (MST) not apply on MSI Bundles

Hi,

We're in the final process of our migration from Zdm 7 to Zcm 11.

Two bundles not working correctly. Those bundles are MSI apps with MST files. In fact, the MST is not apply. I've try in many way (normal user, normal user with admin rights, etc..) but nothing.

I'm still new with Zcm so maybe I doing wrong or is it a bug ?

Our version is 11.2.0 on Windows 2008 R2.

Regards,

Patrick
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
9 Replies
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Transforms (MST) not apply on MSI Bundles

can't say i've seen this happen on any zcm system i've used 11.1 or 11.2

are yo uusing the install MSI action with the transform file uploaded or doing it a different way?

You may want to enable debug logging on a test machine and see what's happening, also being an MSI you might see something useful in the windows system logs as well which might mention what is going wrong

0 Likes
whenz1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ppellegr;2223534 wrote:
Hi,

We're in the final process of our migration from Zdm 7 to Zcm 11.

Two bundles not working correctly. Those bundles are MSI apps with MST files. In fact, the MST is not apply. I've try in many way (normal user, normal user with admin rights, etc..) but nothing.

I'm still new with Zcm so maybe I doing wrong or is it a bug ?

Our version is 11.2.0 on Windows 2008 R2.

Regards,

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I've seen this also. Check if ZCM created too many " " around the mst install..

Regards
Werner
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

whenz;2223609 wrote:
Hi Patrick

I've seen this also. Check if ZCM created too many " " around the mst install..

Regards
Werner

And also check this one: Support | index error launching Network MSI bundle with MST uploaded to content repository

Thomas
0 Likes
ppellegr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I saw nothing about the bundle by parsing the zmd-messages.log file.

Looking in the Windows Events Logs I can see that "C:\Program Files\Novell\Zenworks\cache\zmd\ZenCache\<guid>\AntitodeHD.msi" was launched and no errors.

Badly, I can't post attachment of how I setup my bundle but I'll try to describe it maybe I forgot something...

First I upload on the content server the .MSI and the .MST from the advanced tab.

For the installation parameters I put this command : /i "AntidoteHD.msi" /qf
For the uninstallation parameters I put this command : /x "AntidoteHD.msi" /qn
For the repair parameters I put this command : /f "AntidoteHD.msi" /qn

In the advanced tab I got the MST file listed.
I checked the Execute as a logged user and the execute with admin rights checkbox.

My understanding is that the bundle will append the transforms settings and execute something like that : msiexec /i "AntidoteHD.msi" TRANSFORMS="Reseau.mst" /qf. Does I'm right or I need to put myself the transforms command in my installation string ?

How I can enable "debug" or "verbose" thing on my device to see exactly what happen, what is launch, etc.. ?

Regards,

Patrick
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

ppellegr;2223687 wrote:
I saw nothing about the bundle by parsing the zmd-messages.log file.

Looking in the Windows Events Logs I can see that "C:\Program Files\Novell\Zenworks\cache\zmd\ZenCache\<guid>\AntitodeHD.msi" was launched and no errors.

Badly, I can't post attachment of how I setup my bundle but I'll try to describe it maybe I forgot something...

First I upload on the content server the .MSI and the .MST from the advanced tab.

For the installation parameters I put this command : /i "AntidoteHD.msi" /qf
For the uninstallation parameters I put this command : /x "AntidoteHD.msi" /qn
For the repair parameters I put this command : /f "AntidoteHD.msi" /qn

In the advanced tab I got the MST file listed.
I checked the Execute as a logged user and the execute with admin rights checkbox.

My understanding is that the bundle will append the transforms settings and execute something like that : msiexec /i "AntidoteHD.msi" TRANSFORMS="Reseau.mst" /qf. Does I'm right or I need to put myself the transforms command in my installation string ?

How I can enable "debug" or "verbose" thing on my device to see exactly what happen, what is launch, etc.. ?

Regards,

Patrick

Right-click the ZAA icon, select Properties. On the left-hand side is Logging. Click that. ON the right-hand side is the default logging section. You can click the pulldown and select the long line that says like: debug/warn/errors, etc.

Click apply

I usually clear the log file at that point and then try to reproduce the problem.

Then you can either view the log file (from the ZAA properties--there's a spot to view the file, right below the "clear log"), or you can generate a zac zeninfo, and open the zip file and look at the zmd-messages.log

I've never had the above happen though, and I've got a ton of stuff in with MST, but all my stuff is via content repo as well.

Note, that we deploy the software on event: User login
and all our users are full administrators on the machines (XP)
0 Likes
trevorings
New Member.

Check there arent any "MSI properties" set on the MSI bundle. My understanding is if you have entries in the properties section it will ignore the MST- correct me people if that is incorrect?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Interesting.............
Not sure if that is valid, but I could see how specifying properties
directly as well as in an MST could cause confusion.

Note: When you create an MSI Bundle Action, ZCM will sometimes import
all the MSI Property Settings and push them by default. So even if you
did not add them they may be there.

This is a topic I never considered before.

On 10/18/2012 1:46 AM, trevorings wrote:
>
> Check there arent any "MSI properties" set on the MSI bundle. My
> understanding is if you have entries in the properties section it will
> ignore the MST- correct me people if that is incorrect?
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

trevorings;2224585 wrote:
Check there arent any "MSI properties" set on the MSI bundle. My understanding is if you have entries in the properties section it will ignore the MST- correct me people if that is incorrect?

It shouldn't. I've used it before that way. Plus most MSI default to a certain set of properties and values already.

although I suppose it's possible that it's up to how the vendor created the MSI to begin with.

I usually avoid using the properties when possible and rely on the .MST, but sometimes it's not possible.
0 Likes
0025289s Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I too have experienced this issue, but only if I upload the mst during the initial bundle creation, directly after I have uploaded the msi.

ZCM 11.2

I get it to work thus:

- Complete the msi bundle creation without uploading the mst file.
- Open up the msi install task and add the mst to the content repo.
- Apply the changes
- Voilà

Paul
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.