Highlighted
mike_the_tech_g Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unable to remote control using Device name in ZCM10?

Hi there, have a bit of an odd problem - i'm thinking it will point towards DNS issue but not sure where to look(or double check) basically i cannot remote control managed devices via their device name, only via their IP address, but if i use the standalone tool (NRZViewer.exe) i can connect either via the device name or IP so not sure where the issue is, any help much appreciated. Cheers. Oh yeah, using ZCM 10.2. Cheers, Mike.
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Unable to remote control using Device name in ZCM10?

mike_the_tech_guy;1954668 wrote:
Hi there, have a bit of an odd problem - i'm thinking it will point towards DNS issue but not sure where to look(or double check) basically i cannot remote control managed devices via their device name, only via their IP address, but if i use the standalone tool (NRZViewer.exe) i can connect either via the device name or IP so not sure where the issue is, any help much appreciated. Cheers. Oh yeah, using ZCM 10.2. Cheers, Mike.

You need to have DDNS implemented in your environment for remote control by name will work.

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks for getting back to me. I do have DNS running on my domain and seems to be working fine. Does the NZRviewer.exe not use DNSto communicate then? Thanks.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mike_the_tech_guy;1954721 wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me. I do have DNS running on my domain and seems to be working fine. Does the NZRviewer.exe not use DNSto communicate then? Thanks.

Not DNS but DDNS 🙂

Dynamic DNS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi again, sorry to sound a bit dumb! 🙂 I'm running ZCM10 on a Windows 2008 box, i'm not too sure what needs to be done to setup Dynamic DND(or if it is even required in a windows enviroment) does it still require a 3rd party app to run? Any help much appreciated. Regards
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mike_the_tech_guy;1955428 wrote:
Hi again, sorry to sound a bit dumb! 🙂 I'm running ZCM10 on a Windows 2008 box, i'm not too sure what needs to be done to setup Dynamic DND(or if it is even required in a windows enviroment) does it still require a 3rd party app to run? Any help much appreciated. Regards

If you are running DHCP/DNS on a Windows server then this might help you get DDNS setup:

How do I... Configure DHCP for dynamic updates in Windows Server 2008? | Servers and Storage | TechRepublic.com

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

thsundel;1955430 wrote:
If you are running DHCP/DNS on a Windows server then this might help you get DDNS setup:

How do I... Configure DHCP for dynamic updates in Windows Server 2008? | Servers and Storage | TechRepublic.com

Thomas

And here is the documentation how to enable windows xp client to register into DNS under How to modify DNS dynamic update behavior:

How to configure TCP/IP to use DNS in Windows XP

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi there, thanks, but what i'f i'm not running a DHCP server and clients are manually configured - basically i have multiple sites with their own setup/domain etc that are going to be certally controlled by ZCM10, i'm just currently in the testing phase and so am testing with workgroup pc's that are setup to point at the correct DNS. I believe that when this is implemented across sites i will need to setup DNS Stub records to correctly communicate the DNS records, but am a bit lost as to why it isnt working in a local workgroup enviroment. Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi thomas, whoops sorry i mis-read that! 🙂 I'll look further into it, thanks for your help, fingers crossed! cheers, Mike.
0 Likes
diveboy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mike_the_tech_guy;1955425 wrote:
Hi thomas, whoops sorry i mis-read that! 🙂 I'll look further into it, thanks for your help, fingers crossed! cheers, Mike.

is your ZCM server using a different domain suffix to your workstations ?

IE, we are in the process of migrating to a new DNS domain, we have the zcm server in it already (new.local.org) but the workstations are using the old one (domain.org)

When you go to remote control, the ZCM server is using the address workstation.new.local.org instead of workstation.domain.org.

I think this is a bug as the workstations are reporting to zen as workstation.domain.org not workstation.new.local.org.

Can you confirm this is your configuration ?

Thanks

Michael.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi there, yes the ZCM is in a differnet dns suffix from devices and when you try to connect using hostname it seems to try to connect using the DNS suffix of the zcm, for our type of setup it just cant all be in the same suffix. I have found that it all works fine via IP address(including other remote features) though, so for me it's not really a big issue. Cheers.
0 Likes
diveboy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mike_the_tech_guy;1959241 wrote:
Hi there, yes the ZCM is in a differnet dns suffix from devices and when you try to connect using hostname it seems to try to connect using the DNS suffix of the zcm, for our type of setup it just cant all be in the same suffix. I have found that it all works fine via IP address(including other remote features) though, so for me it's not really a big issue. Cheers.

Thanks for confirming, I'll log an SR and advise the outcome.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hello mate, thats great, let me know what happens please. Cheers, Mike.
0 Likes
TJohnson-LCSD Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Following this and another thread because I have the same issue. Has anyone determined if this is a bug or get a solution?

Thanks.

Tim
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.