timotheus Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Use PXE to Boot to Other Utilities

I would like to use the PXE system to boot other utilities.

I have seen a Cool Solutions article on doing this in ZfD. And a TID indicating that it is doable in ZCM. But I have not been able to connect the dots.

Are there any instructions published on how to do this? Or would somebody like to give a description on how to make this work?

Sorry if I am missing something obvious.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Use PXE to Boot to Other Utilities

timotheus,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

timotheus;2066890 wrote:
I would like to use the PXE system to boot other utilities.

I have seen a Cool Solutions article on doing this in ZfD. And a TID indicating that it is doable in ZCM. But I have not been able to connect the dots.

Are there any instructions published on how to do this? Or would somebody like to give a description on how to make this work?

Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

Which utilities are you talking?

What is possible is also dependent on what you are trying to do. Possibly it would be enough to edit the pxemenu.txt (what used to be the DEFMENU.DAT) to add the load parameters as mentioned in the Cool solution you've referenced.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
timotheus Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Two utilities that would be nice, and I think have been mentioned in this context elsewhere, were DBAN which is Linux based, and BartPE which is very similar to the WinPE. Another very nice one would be the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) which is also Linux based and contains DBAN and many other helpful utilities.

I hope that it would be a simple edit of the config file. I read the documentation and the other sources I mentioned, but I was not able to connect the dots.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

timotheus;2069039 wrote:
Two utilities that would be nice, and I think have been mentioned in this context elsewhere, were DBAN which is Linux based, and BartPE which is very similar to the WinPE. Another very nice one would be the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) which is also Linux based and contains DBAN and many other helpful utilities.

I hope that it would be a simple edit of the config file. I read the documentation and the other sources I mentioned, but I was not able to connect the dots.

Out of own interest I might be giving it a try and let you know. Haven't done this on ZCM and also can't promise any timeframe though.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
timotheus Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have run into another example of a good use for this, I have to do a BIOS upgrade on 70 PCs. As it is now I have to change the configuration of each PC so it will boot from a usb device before I can update it. If I could integrate the Linux or Dos boot disk into PXE it would go much faster.

But I have to admit my knowledge in this area is still to shallow to work this out myself.
0 Likes
Highlighted
mkoeppl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

i migrated a solution initially invented for zfd 7 to zcm.
Basically the idea is to start a bootable image with memdisk.
I made the changed in zcm a while a go and did not really test this part in deep.
All changes are in the tftp part of the zcm image server.

In the directory /srv/tftp/ i created a customized pxemenu.txt with a submenu for my entries. Also additional options without a submenu will be ok.

pxemenu.txt additional lines:

option = submenu ; "MyOwn Advanced Options >>" ; "Own Submenu for special tasks" ; OwnSUBMenu
option = exit ; "Exit" ; "Boot to local hard drive"

[OwnSUBMenu]
MenuTitle = MyOwn Advanced Options Menu
option = execute ; "FixMBR Boot Disk" ; "calls Fdisk mbr with DOS 6.22 boot disk" ; LoadLin.dnx z_fixmbr.cmd
option = return ; "Return" ; "Return to main menu"
option = exit ; "Exit" ; "Boot to local hard drive"

additionally you have to create the file boot/z_fixmbr.cmd
which in my case contains the link to the dos bootdisk image file:
and also have a bootable diskimage. Memdisk should also be able to start iso files but i haven´t checked that.

boot/z_fixmbr.cmd:

ZENWORKSAPPEND 1
DEFAULT imaging
LABEL imaging
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=fixmbr.img

Michael Koeppl Germany
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.