Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Very slow copy performance for bundle

(ZCM 2017 U1 appliance, single primary, no secondary server config)
I have a bundle that pushes down a single 205 MB file, the Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.0 executable, to the temp dir of the workstation using an 'Install Executable' action then runs it from the temp dir by using a 'Launch executable' action. The file was uploaded when setting up the 'Install Executable'. It seems to take FOREVER for the file to get copied down. If I look at the agent 'View Progress' option, it appears that the file is copied quickly for the first 30% of the file size, then takes forever to copy the rest.

1. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

2. Is there a way I can install the SEP client from the primary server without having to copy the exe file first to a local drive then running it from there? If so, how? I'd just like to 'run' the exe from the ZCM primary server like I could run it from a network share to do the install but I can't figure out how. Looks like I have to copy it local first then run it from the local location.

Thanks,

Dan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Very slow copy performance for bundle

Not sure why it is taking long....maybe AV is scanning it...not really sure.

Yes.....you can run programs from network share the same as local.

If the impersonation is run as user.....just run it...though for installs the user likely does not have rights....
If set as DAU...you will need to configure the action to use a Credential Vaule User
If set as SYSTEM....you will need to authentication the SYSTEM account to the network share....mostly done in domains via domain workstation objects.....
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Craig. Sorry I wasn't clear about the 'run'. I understand how to have the bundle run an executable that is on a network share that is not the ZCM primary server. That's not what I'm talking about.

I would like to upload the SEP client to the ZCM repository, then have the bundle simply run and install it on the WS instead of having to have it 'install' (copy) it to a temp dir in an Install action then 'Run executable' as a launch action to get the SEP client installed. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks,
Dan
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchunt,

you can't access the repository in that way (the data is not stored as
a file system). You can either run from a share, or download it...

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The Repo is a Web Server.....
You can't "Run" any install from any web server.
Your HTTP/HTTPS connections do not form the same type of connection that lets software run directly there.
Use IE/Chrome/FF or any browser of choice ....any time you "Install" something it needs to 1st download to your PC.

If the 205MB file is taking a long time to download....then I strongly suspect you have missing AV Exclusions or some other Windows process doing lots of security checking on the executable.
In such a case...it really does not matter how you access it....that process is going to delay stuff.....Normally I would expect a single 200MB file to download to the cache and be placed in an install directly in a blink of an eye.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craigdwilson,

not if it's on 4MB Token Ring 😉

--

Shaun Pond
easy

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The other item to verify is to make sure your PC is configured to Bypass any Proxy for your ZCM Servers.
Otherwise, all your traffic will get routed thru a proxy which could really slow things down.
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Craig. We are not using proxy servers so that isn't it. The AV issue my pertain to the problem. What directories on the WS should I exclude from AV scanning? We are using Symantec Endpoint Protection, version 14.0.1.

And Shaun, we retired the token ring last year and are now exclusively Arcnet! <G>

Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This TID is long, I hate it, and its hard to make better for many reasons 🙂
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7007545

However the KEY thing to remember, it should really be more about Excluding the ZCM PROCESSES.....not Excluding Specific Files or Folders from Being Scanned.

#1 - Disable AV....Does it Noticeably Help...If yes....then worry about AV settings...if not.....don't waste brain cells....

#2 - If Disabling AV Helps, Then focus on the core ZCM Processes listed and make sure their activity is excluded. ZCM will also be touching many "Open" places such as "TEMP" that clearly should not be excluded in General, but should be safe to let ZCM do its thing, since the only files it will be using are ones you have placed on a share or uploaded to content repo. They should have been scanned at that time.....

Keep in Mind....Using the Content-Repo will always be slower than using a Share Directly.....
If you have Network Shares....Use Them in conjunction with Credential Vaults for more performance.
Content-Repo is not as fast, but really simplifies matters.

The Content-Repo is slower, because there are multiple steps involved before you can use it....
#1 - The content is downloaded to the Cache Folder. Then Copied out to an install folder...A 2 step process.
#2 - The content may need to be Unzipped and Decrypted as well in many cases...causing some more delays. (Device Performance Here really matters)
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks a lot, Craig. That is really helpful.

Dan
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchunt,

personally I still use a modem with an acoustic coupler - very
reliable...

--

Shaun Pond
easy

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.