dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

WS not always updating to latest agent

We have an old ZCM 11.2 single server primary zone that we are moving WS from to a new ZCM 11.4.1 single server primary zone. I wrote a batch file that first imports the ZCM 11.4.1 certficate using "zac cert-info ..." then used zenworksuninstall.exe to change the zones. This works and USUALLY after the zone is changed the agent on the WS will be automatically updated to 11.4.1. However in some cases this doesn't happen. The zone is changed on the WS correctly and I see the WS in the 11.4.1 zone, however, the agent on the WS is never updated.

Is there a zac command that will force the WS to update to the latest agent from the server? I could add that to the batch file. I looked at the zac command line parameters but didn't see one.

Also, when I look in the ZCM admin program on the System Updates page, I see under 'Deploying System Updates' only the 'Post 11SP4 Update Prereq' listed (which has been applied to the primary server). I was sure that the Update for "ZENworks 11 SP4 (11.4.1)" was listed there as well. Could this be why the agent isn't being updated? I don't see it listed under 'Available System Updates'; I only see the "Update for ZENworks 11 SP4 (11.4.2)" which shows as downloaded. Would this have cleared out the 11.4.1 update?

Thanks,

Dan
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: WS not always updating to latest agent

If it is missing, then devices would not update.

You can simply re-import the 11.4.1 SU.
Unless this is there, devices will not get the update.
When it moves to "baselined", new devices added to the zone will get it automatically.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Scratch my last answer.
This has to do with the 11.4.2 being there....
Give me a moment...........
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Craig. Did 11.4.2 remove the 11.4.1 update? If so, why?

Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It is not my Job to Reason Why 🙂

The simplest method may be to move to 11.4.2.

Otherwise, it may be necessary to Delete the 11.4.2 System Update and re-import the 11.4.1 SU.
There may be some more caveats.....

Not Ideal, but just upgrading to 11.4.2 may be best.
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, that is what I decided as well. Let me ask you another thing. We are using the ZCM appliance. I finally got the Online Update in the portal for the appliance to register with Novell so I assume I would want to do the Online update for SLES first, let the server reboot then proceed to do the upgrade to 11.4.2 from 11.4.1 on the single primary server. Then set up the 11.4.2 under the 'Deploying System Updates' so I can deploy it to the WS., right?

Also, the "Post 11SP4 Update Prereq" is only supposed to apply to servers and we only have a single primary server. So, a while ago after deploying it to our primary server I removed it from 'Deploying System Updates' since I thought it wasn't needed and then tried to deploy the 11.4.1 update to WS (the primary server had already been updated to 11.4.1). However, the update would not deploy to WS and I found (I think I posted a thread about it) that I needed to put the 'Post 11SP4 Update Prereq' back in the "Deploying System Updates". Also, now, if I click on the 'Selected Devices Stage' under the 'Stage' column for the 'Post 11SP4 Update Prereq' in the "Deploying System Updates' , it shows two WS listed as being completed successfully. It doesn't show the other WS we have updated or the primary server. Why not?

And, if this update only applied to servers, then why is it showing WS as devices that had this update successfully deployed to?

Will I still need this Post 11SP4 Update Prereq for 11.4.2?

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craig or Shaun, any thoughts on the message I posted in this thread at 10:45 EDT?

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

In Summary, Which I probably have 95% correct..............

When the 11.4.2 System Update Downloaded, it marked the 11.4.1 SU as "superseded".
All existing 11.4.1 SU Assignments will continue to be honored.
New Assignments will not automatically be made when new devices are added to the zone.

It is not as simple as just removing "ZCM 11.4.2" to allow the 11.4.1 System-Update to become "Un-Superseded".
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, for the update, Craig. Is this always the case? I can't remember from previous updates. Also, see my other post in this thread about the correct order of things for the 11.4.2 update and a question about the "Post 11SP4 Update Prereq".

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Dan
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchunt,

In my experience (long, long experience :)) yes, that's been the case
for updates such as this (that's why back when I was the one doing the
readme for the releases of the updates, I made sure that this was
specified, and I also gave a list of commands to cleanup the old
versions) 🙂 If you want to see 11.4.1 again you need to remove 11.4.2,
then use the zman sudu to remove 11.4.1, then re-import 11.4.1 (using
the manual zip file, and don't automatically download new versions!)

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchunt,

11.4.2 will have hidden the 11.4.1 update - it's always been like that.
You can delete it if you wish:
zman sudu 5011040100fc50000000002015121012
will remove it

--

Shaun Pond
easy

0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So just trying to understand the process here. Right now in "Confguration | Infrastructure Management | System Update Settings", I have it set to check for updates once a week and to download the updates once a week. If I didn't have system updates set to download updates when available but only to check for updates, then on the "Configuration | System Updates" tab I would see the "Update for ZENworks 11 SP4 (11.4.2)" listed as available but since it wasn't downloaded it would not wipe out the 11.4.1? Then I could pick the time to download and apply the 11.4 2 update which at that point would hide the 11.4.1 update?

Would this be the better way to configure Available System Updates instead of having them automatically downloaded?

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, I believe that would avoid this issue.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchunt,

yes, Craig's right - that would stop this happening

--

Shaun Pond
easy

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.