joebrug
New Member.

Wake-on-lan across subnet/VLANs

We're currently using a ZCM11.4.3 virtual appliance. I'm looking to utilize the WOL feature of zenworks so I can do some after hours work, turning on PCs if needed. We have multiple VLANs for servers and workstations here. For example, server is 172.16.1.42, workstations are 10.10.10.x, 10.10.20.x, 10.10.30.x, depending on location, etc.

Whats the easiest way to get WOL working? I don't have any satellite/proxy servers, and thought I read somewhere that you can have a managed workstation be responsible for sending out the magic packet? True?

#novell on efnet
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Wake-on-lan across subnet/VLANs

The simplest, most reliable, most efficient, and most secure method is to simply have your Primary Server send the WOL requests.

You switches may or may not need to have Subnet-Directred Broadcasts Enabled.
You may or may not want to restrict those to a primary server.

Since most networks are required to enable Full Network Broadcasts for many different reasons (TONS of DUMB Software out there...)......which is where any device can send one packet that can go to every device on EVERY SINGLE SUBNET across an organization....
It makes little sense to then restrict the sending of a broadcast to a SINGLE Network.

That only makes sense for companies that restrict full broadcast too.
Those that are restricting full broadcast....already tend to be fully aware on how to configure the switches.
0 Likes
joebrug
New Member.

Re: Wake-on-lan across subnet/VLANs

hi Craig..
I've been trying a bunch of different ways without much luck. When you hit "Wake up" under Quick Tasks.. it asks which server/proxy you want to do the waking-up. I tried entering the name of a managed device on the same VLAN as the target computer.. nothing happened, in fact, I hit this bug "https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7018121"

I also tried making that workstation a "Satellite" with the Join Proxy service configured.. still didn't work.

I'm using Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switches, not too worried about security as much as I am about getting WOL to work for now.

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.