Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What does the install on the host Oracle DB Server do?

I am using an external Oracle server (11g). As per instructions on pg 40

"Set up the database externally before installing the Primary Server: This option is
especially useful if your database administrator is not the same as your ZENworks
administrator. Detailed information about this method is provided in this section."

I had the DB admin create the schema before the installation began.

On page 42 of the zen11_installation PDF, the instructions for installing an External Oracle Database , step 2a states....

2a "On the server where you want to install the external database, insert the Novell ZENworks 11 SP1 installation DVD."

I read this as inserting the DVD on the Oracle host server (which is linux OS)and then running sh /media/cdrom/setup.sh -c command as per step 2c (my primary server is on Linux as well.)

The script runs, I'm prompted for the language, I choose English then the script continues. It only takes about 45 seconds, no other input prompts, no errors then it finishes and returns to the prompt. Done.

Then I go to my first Primary server, run the install, it finds and connects to the external DB. No problems.

The thing is, My Oracle DB admins want to know exactly what is being done when I run the script on their Oracle Host server. I'm really not sure as I rebuilt my lab and the DB server, had the DB admnin set up the schema. But this time I did not run anything on the Oracle Host server, I skipped that, just did the install on my Primary and was able to run the installation with no issues.

So what does the install on the Oracle Host actually do? Nothing? Any insite would be appricated.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: What does the install on the host Oracle DB Server do?

tituss,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Sorry for the delayed response. That step seems quite odd. We, too, use an external Oracle database. We did not have to give the .ISO/DVD file to the Oracle DBA.

I think what they MEAN (although if it's worded that way, it's definitely wrong) is that:

On the server where ZCM will be installed that will be USING The external database, plop the DVD into the drive. I do suppose it's possible that you could run ZCM on the same machine that the "external" Oracle DB is on, but my experience is that this is NOT the case. (most Oracle shops have a dedicated Oracle server and nothing else is allowed to be on it).

ASSUMING that is the case in your environment (SERVER1=Oracle server, and SERVER2=ZCM server), you only put/install the ZCM code on SERVER2.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was very strange as well. I had a few people read through the procedures and you are right that it is not worded well. We came to the conclusion that the instructions sort of jump around a bit and when we pieced it together we realized that there is no install on the Oracle host, that it is all run from the Primary or mid tier server in the
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.