pwolff2000 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Win 7 SP1 client install issues

I just started testing ZCM 11.1 in order to move our K-12 school off of ZEN 7 XP workstations to Win 7 ZCM 11 and I am running in to all kinds of issues.

First issue, installed ZCM 11.1 on to a Win2008 64 bit server, patch management agents on single XP workstation and server won't work (runs to step 9 of 9 then errors out). Next day 11.1a is released, agent update fixes XP workstation and PM works fine. Ran 11.1a iso update against server. Server now reports info about (long hex number) deployment not cached and never runs.

Second issue, installed Win 7 Pro 32 bit on workstation, latest Novell client 2 (ir8), windows autoadmin login (with system administrator account), prompts for edirectory. Works perfectly. Add anti-virus (Symantec 12.1) same as WinXP workstation. Try to install ZEN client, won't install (blocked/flagged as virus/malware) no matter what I do or flag under Symantec to ignore. Remove Symantec, reboot, ZEN 11.1a client installs fine. When logging in, everything works to the point of "Processing Login to User Source" where I get a ZENworks login box. It has passed my user info from my Novell login to the ZENworks login but will NOT accept my password (login credentials are incorrect). I have logged in using .username.context and that is what shows in the ZENworks dialog. This is a single TREE enviroment and the XP workstation works fine using the exect same information. At the ZENworks dialog, if I change the username to just username (no dots/context) and use my password it works fine. This seems to be true for any username I try. I then am able to install Symantec 12.1 without issue nor does it complain about ZEN any longer.

What info I hope to gather is.... Have I misconfigured something???, Will ZCM and Symantec co-exist??? Is anybody else seen similar issues??? Does anybody have any special tricks/tips to fix/resolve these issues???

Thanks for reading.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Win 7 SP1 client install issues

Although I am not seeing the exact same issues as you are I can say that I am seeing similar issues. I have multiple issues with ZENworks or my AntiVirus (Panda Endpoint Management) locking up the Windows 7 SP1 deployed laptops we have. I noticed that a lot of my bundles are not deploying without major errors with all the workstations. Some work fine others never install the product without major assistance from me. Patch Management is even worse with deploying the patches. A patch will deploy on one laptop correctly and the same type of laptop in the same group will fail multiple times.
I am now seeing some of the laptops failing to boot properly after the 11.1a or Agent Update1 is deployed. Anytime I deploy the updates I get a boot up repair which gets stuck in a cycle. I have to manually recover the boot system and even on a few that will fail and I have to reimage. I have noticed that my server updates have gone a lot smoother but the client side is really bad right now. Being a school I have had to cut corners just to deploy the product. I would have prefered a external database considering I am running about 750 systems. but the district either can't afford it or is unwilling to purchase anything additional.

I am not seeing nearly as many issues with WinXP as Win7. Windows 7 with the lock ups and stability issues with ZCM11 has been a complete disaster. Right now I spend more time keeping ZCM happy then I do anything else. Login issues were bad at the beginning of the year but once I deployed IR8 for Win7 a lot of that went away. I have noticed that if you have restrictions with the eDirectory user accounts where you limit the number of logins make sure you give a login count for each product. I have a minimum of 3 since I need one for Novell Client, ZCM, and GroupWise. If I have the count at 1 then the novell client will be successful but the user will get odd errors when they proceed.

I have seen a few issues with the context added user accounts but nothing consistent at this point. That started as the end users started using the laptops with 11.1a.

Rich
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.