bpedrant Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Win7 ZCM 2017SP4 imaging and restore SID issue

Hello all,

I need a quick way to simply take an image of a workstation for backup purposes.
Actually several.

I simply PXE booted and went to manual mode, took an image (both the boot and C: partitions). This works great.
The machine is an older Dell laptop, spinning disk, no encryption...

When I try to restore the image, TO THE SAME LAPTOP, it fully restores, then dies with a cannot change the SID.
After this, the machine is not bootable anymore. So, there seems to be 2 issues....

I also tried, after the failure, to just restore the "boot" partition. This does not fix the booting issue.

What am I missing?
(We used to do this all the time, as a safety measure)

Brian
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Win7 ZCM 2017SP4 imaging and restore SID issue

Windows 10 is far more persnickety about Windows SID Changes.
Since you are backing up the restoring to the same device, definitely no need to be trying to changed the SID.

I would disabled SID Changing both via the Registry and the XML on the root of the drive.
These settings can be pushed.

See -https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-3/zen_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bg4iu9s.html#bg4iu9v
Just search for SidChanger.

bpedrant;2498219 wrote:
Hello all,

I need a quick way to simply take an image of a workstation for backup purposes.
Actually several.

I simply PXE booted and went to manual mode, took an image (both the boot and C: partitions). This works great.
The machine is an older Dell laptop, spinning disk, no encryption...

When I try to restore the image, TO THE SAME LAPTOP, it fully restores, then dies with a cannot change the SID.
After this, the machine is not bootable anymore. So, there seems to be 2 issues....

I also tried, after the failure, to just restore the "boot" partition. This does not fix the booting issue.

What am I missing?
(We used to do this all the time, as a safety measure)

Brian

[/HR]
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.