Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
iWill
New Member.

Windows 10 Imaging - Help once for all

Hi there,

Someone can tell me what can i do for make a normal windows 10 pro image, with drivers and a few programs installed?
What a im doing:
1-Install fresh windows on my machine (Lenovo)
2-Install essentials drivers, novell client, iprint and another other programs
3-Shutdown my Lenovo, and start zenworks imaging 11.4.3 by own PXE server with zenworks
4-Make a image without problems
5-Restore image on same machine or anothers in the same model, result: Infinite boot loading!

What happen? I have done this process without problems with Win7 and WinXP!
What is missing in the procedure?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Windows 10 Imaging - Help once for all

Step#0 - Ensure the Tuxera Driver is shown as installed in the ZCC.
Step#2 1/2 - Run SysPrep

There could be quite a bit more..........MS has really done a number on Windows Imaging..........
A lot of folks have some Decrapifying Scripts so that all the pink fluffy bunny games and such gone.

iwill;2469072 wrote:
Hi there,

Someone can tell me what can i do for make a normal windows 10 pro image, with drivers and a few programs installed?
What a im doing:
1-Install fresh windows on my machine (Lenovo)
2-Install essentials drivers, novell client, iprint and another other programs
3-Shutdown my Lenovo, and start zenworks imaging 11.4.3 by own PXE server with zenworks
4-Make a image without problems
5-Restore image on same machine or anothers in the same model, result: Infinite boot loading!

What happen? I have done this process without problems with Win7 and WinXP!
What is missing in the procedure?
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craigdwilson,

it's a lot better than it was, but there's still plenty of work for my
company 🙂

--

Shaun Pond (now working for ENGL)
reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
iWill
New Member.

Can you tell me the procedure more detailed? Tuxera? Sysprep? Some prints please
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

0 Likes
iWill
New Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2469164 wrote:
Tuxera - https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks114/zen11_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bz8awge.html

Sysprep - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/sysprep--system-preparation--overview

Once again, i dont make an image with ZCM! I simply boot my machine with zen imaging 11.4.3 CD, mount my dev's and make that.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Iwill,
> Once again, i dont make an image with ZCM! I simply boot my machine with
> zen imaging 11.4.3 CD, mount my dev's and make that.

Can you elaborate? If you want to create an image that can be restored to
another machine, even seemingly identical, then you MUST use sysprep.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
iWill
New Member.

AndersG;2469180 wrote:
Iwill,
> Once again, i dont make an image with ZCM! I simply boot my machine with
> zen imaging 11.4.3 CD, mount my dev's and make that.

Can you elaborate? If you want to create an image that can be restored to
another machine, even seemingly identical, then you MUST use sysprep.

Ok, im gonna try to tell you what i have and what i do.

What i Have:
-I have a Lenovo M83 as server with windows 7 and running a tftp host with local dhcp server too (nothing special)
-In that, i have a linux kernel file, initrd, pxeconfig and setting file with mount code (take this files from Zenworks imaging CD)

What i Do:
-In this case, i have Lenovo V520s (windows 10), boot up the machine, and boot over PXE
-I type "img" to enter on imaging menu, select "make an imagem", select target directory (goes to Lenovo M83 c:\root), "speed" compression and enter.

Thats it! Yesterday, i do sysprep on windows 10 image, when the system give a restart i immediately run PXE and make a image. Once complete, i restore this image in another desktop (same model). What happen? The machine where i used to create image start normally, the other (where i restore image) stay stuck on boot loading (circular points).

FACT: If i make image immeadiatly after a fresh windows 10 install (without any other programs installed), when i restore that on another setup works like charm! If i installed even a single utility like Ccleaner or MS Office, the image get stuck on boot load.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Sounds as if you are Neither Using the Tuxera Driver not Using Sysprep....
You really need to be using the Tuxera BootCD when using Windows 10.

Sysprep has also generally been considered a basic part of preparing Windows for Imaging since NT 4.0.....if not longer....

iwill;2469194 wrote:
Ok, im gonna try to tell you what i have and what i do.

What i Have:
-I have a Lenovo M83 as server with windows 7 and running a tftp host with local dhcp server too (nothing special)
-In that, i have a linux kernel file, initrd, pxeconfig and setting file with mount code (take this files from Zenworks imaging CD)

What i Do:
-In this case, i have Lenovo V520s (windows 10), boot up the machine, and boot over PXE
-I type "img" to enter on imaging menu, select "make an imagem", select target directory (goes to Lenovo M83 c:\root), "speed" compression and enter.

Thats it! Yesterday, i do sysprep on windows 10 image, when the system give a restart i immediately run PXE and make a image. Once complete, i restore this image in another desktop (same model). What happen? The machine where i used to create image start normally, the other (where i restore image) stay stuck on boot loading (circular points).

FACT: If i make image immeadiatly after a fresh windows 10 install (without any other programs installed), when i restore that on another setup works like charm! If i installed even a single utility like Ccleaner or MS Office, the image get stuck on boot load.
--
0 Likes
iWill
New Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2469196 wrote:
Sounds as if you are Neither Using the Tuxera Driver not Using Sysprep....
You really need to be using the Tuxera BootCD when using Windows 10.

Sysprep has also generally been considered a basic part of preparing Windows for Imaging since NT 4.0.....if not longer....

Where can i find Tuxera BootCD? And how can integrate that tuxera on my actual server (Lenovo M83)?
I never use sysprep on WinXP and Win7 when make image and works like charm, only Win10 gives me problems.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Iwill,

here's a sequence to get the Tuxera driver installed - it needs to be reapplied after every ZENworkls upgrade or manually applied imaging update:

1 Go to ZCC > Configuration > Device Management > Preboot Services
2 Go down to Tuxera High Performance NTFS Driver Integration Settings
3 Click on the link in "go here if..." and save the tntfs.zip (make sure it doesn't get renamed to tntfs(1).zip or anything like that)
4 Click on the magnifying glass icon, browse to the location where you saved the tntfs.zip, select it and click OK.
5 Most Important At this stage scroll right to the bottom of the page and select "OK", or "Apply" - it won't work without this.
6 Go back to the same place as 4, and check "status" - this should be "Not available" immediately afterwards, and change shortly to "available"

You should see entries such as
[DEBUG] [06/08/2016 11:45:44.928] [4107] [ZENLoader] [168] [] [Loader.QueueRunner] [] [Passing the action ID: 587639, Type:replicate.ntfs.driver to Handler: com.novell.zenworks.preboot.loader.modules.queue.handlers.ReplicateNTFSDriverHandler] [] [] [] [ZENServer]
in loader-messages.log

If your server is running Linux, and the status does not change to "Available" after some minutes (depends on the speed of the server and how busy it is, but if it's not happened for 30 minutes you can be pretty sure it's not going to happen) and you don't see the messages in the log, then it's possible that at some point ZENworks has lost the rights it needs (for example if you deleted the tftp directory then copied a new version, it won't have the correct rights). Start a terminal window, either as the root user, or use SU to give yourself rights, then run
permissions.sh
This is a Novell-provided script which gets run during ZENworks upgrade, and will restore the correct rights. It can be run at any time, and as often as required.

and yes, Windows 10 is not the same as Windows XP, and you can't treat it the same, sorry.

--

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Iwill,

oh and after doing that lot, if you look in the same directory where
the bootcd is (/opt/novell/zenworks/preboot/bin/winutils on Linux) you
will find a lovely new bootcd_tntfs.iso

--

0 Likes
iWill
New Member.

shaunpond;2469206 wrote:
Iwill,

oh and after doing that lot, if you look in the same directory where
the bootcd is (/opt/novell/zenworks/preboot/bin/winutils on Linux) you
will find a lovely new bootcd_tntfs.iso

--

Very accurate indeed, but im afraid that im not express myself so well.
The point is, i used to make images locally with CD (zen imaging)! not from server.

My (our company) old procedure:
-Start a desktop that i want to prepare and create image.
-Turn off system, connect external hard drive, and boot from CD
-When zen imaging start, i mount my dev/sdb1 and mnt/harddisk to target my .zmg image - Simply as that!
(Works in WinXP and Win7)

Now, i do the same and didnt work.
What i wish to know is: How can i do that (at least) locally? After that, i can automatize this in my customize local server (tftpd32 program as used) to start over PXE.

PS- Tomorrow i can post prints of my pxelinux.cfg/deafult file settings
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Tuxera is the "maintained" NTFS Driver.
The prior link shows where to get and how to build it.

It may have been possible to get by...but MS is going to assume you are using Sysprep.
So as they do their stuff.....it is with the assumption that is being used.

Lots more issues with how Windows 10 handles invalid Security Identifiers vs older versions.
Sysprep cleans most of that up......but there can still be issues.....
You will see lots of threads here and elsewhere on Win10 related issues and how to clear various stuff out.....

But a Current Maintained NTFS Driver is very important to avoid issues....
Sysprep to help prepare windows for imaging is something MS is expecting will be done to the OS before its imaged.
--
0 Likes
iWill
New Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2469218 wrote:
Tuxera is the "maintained" NTFS Driver.
The prior link shows where to get and how to build it.

It may have been possible to get by...but MS is going to assume you are using Sysprep.
So as they do their stuff.....it is with the assumption that is being used.

Lots more issues with how Windows 10 handles invalid Security Identifiers vs older versions.
Sysprep cleans most of that up......but there can still be issues.....
You will see lots of threads here and elsewhere on Win10 related issues and how to clear various stuff out.....

But a Current Maintained NTFS Driver is very important to avoid issues....
Sysprep to help prepare windows for imaging is something MS is expecting will be done to the OS before its imaged.

Ok. Bot at last time e make sysprep before make an image and didnt work again. If you have a checklist how to do it, step by step, me and zenworks community apreccieted.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.