Highlighted
stelgenkamp
New Member.

Windows 10 : broken start menu with roaming Profiles

Trying to investigate the broken Start Menu problem.
Most PC's are effected, mostly as soon as users start to roam.

Investigation has led me to think it has to do with rights for "All Application Packages"

I have tried, repairing the Start Menu with attached powershell :
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-10/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

Only :
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Does not reregister the apps in the user account.

Which has led me to the following item :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2798317/win8-app-modern-apps-fail-to-start-if-default-registry-or-file-permiss

I use ZCM 2017, but have no idea on how to fix this.
Can anyone shine some light on this and how you have tackled this problem ?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Windows 10 : broken start menu with roaming Profiles

There are a few threads here about the issue.....
https://forums.novell.com/forumdisplay.php/1017-ZCM11-Policies-Windows

To Simplify, MS broke Roaming Profiles with Windows 10 in relation to both the Start Menu and Tiles.
There are various hacks suggested in various threads on how to try and get Windows to properly roam the necessary files.

Best as I can tell....most folks just gave up, since MS does not seem very concerned about fixing the issue without hacks.
Folder Redirection can help, but clearly the two items are not the same exact thing....especially for laptops....
0 Likes
stelgenkamp
New Member.

Yes I know about Microsoft breaking the roaming profiles.
This article explains how we still can manage.
https://4sysops.com/archives/roaming-profiles-and-start-tiles-tiledatalayer-in-the-windows-10-1703-creators-update/
But somehow there seems to be a rights issue with the roaming profiles.
I was hoping anyone here had better experiences.
0 Likes
stelgenkamp
New Member.

To bump this thread :
Every update, Windows 10 seems to break start menu's.
Sometimes is does not break them, when the user receives the : Hello, I am updating screen.
This got me thinking :
what if the user profiles, does not get updated, while it is a roaming profile ?

Does anyone have any idea, if it is possible, to like load the roaming profile and then force the profile to update,
with the Hello, I am updating screen ?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Best to read thru the various links to MS Forums.
MS has broken the Roaming Profiles with Windows 10...specifically the Start Menu and other parts of the profile.
Various folks have posted various hacks.......

Not related to ZENworks.

Suspect MS is just nudging folks away from their use for one reason or another.
0 Likes
stelgenkamp
New Member.

From release 1803, MS has changed the way the Start Menu is handled in Roaming Profiles.
after the update the start menu was working.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Great News!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.